1985 KDX200, not producing spark

Got questions? We got answers....
Grgskdx200

1985 KDX200, not producing spark

Post by Grgskdx200 »

Hi everyone, I’m new to the group this is my first time on here. I’m in the middle of trying to get an old 85 up and running again and have had a lot of issues with the ignition system, currently I have replaced everything from the stator and up. My question is: how much voltage should I be seeing coming up through the harness when from the stator when I kick it? I have checked and cleaned all the grounds, built a new harness for it, and even added an additional ground from the engine to the frame (just because), and still not getting anything coming to the CDI.
Thanks in advance for your help, Cheers
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: 1985 KDX200, not producing spark

Post by kdxsully »

It’s been a while, but I remember seeing like 12-15 on mine when I was kicking pretty hard. No spark plug in. When you say coming to the CDI, you mean you’re not seeing any voltage from your stator at all? Or that your CDI isn’t outputting anything? You won’t get a reading on the output of the CDI. Most people will eliminate everything else and then replace the CDI. If you’re an idiot like me, you hold the CDI leads and kick until it shocks you.
I like turtles
Grgskdx200

Post by Grgskdx200 »

Thanks for the help, I have no voltage from the stator. The stator is a brand new one and seems to bench test to factory spec, or very close, but for what ever reason I have nothing. And no I have never held the leads and kicked her, though I could rite now and get away with it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Are all the magnets still in the flywheel? Not a trick question, the older bikes had an issue with them coming unglued and being ground up. You should be seeing an AC voltage coming off the ignition coil to the CDI when kicking, as mentioned above should be in the 10-15 volt range. How did you bench test it, resistance check?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Grgskdx200 wrote: 09:01 pm Apr 24 2020 Thanks for the help, I have no voltage from the stator. The stator is a brand new one and seems to bench test to factory spec, or very close, but for what ever reason I have nothing. And no I have never held the leads and kicked her, though I could rite now and get away with it.
If you decide to go that route, it’s a good jolt. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
I like turtles
Grgskdx200

Post by Grgskdx200 »

Yes the magnets are all there and in good condition, and the stator was checked with a Resistance check, seems odd but perhaps I just got a dud stator.