FMF Powercore 2 vs Stock

Got questions? We got answers....
sangle333

FMF Powercore 2 vs Stock

Post by sangle333 »

I have a new to me 2003 200 that came w/a powercore 2 silencer.
I ride some organized dual sport rides and a spark arrestor is required along with db less than 96.
Additionally, I'm old and it's loud. LOL.
- > Question : can I put the stock silencer on with out having to re-jet or mess with anything else?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: FMF Powercore 2 vs Stock

Post by kdxsully »

Probably. rejetting is usually associated with the header pipe.
I like turtles
sangle333

Post by sangle333 »

Ok, thanks. Does anyone know of a way to make the Powercore 2 not as loud?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Since the bike is new to you I would just assume the silencer needs to be repacked. Its cheap and once you do it a couple times you'll know right away when its time. It gets noticeably louder.

Is the stock silencer a spark arrester? On most bikes it isn't.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Re-pack the FMF silencer. That may help some, but it will never be as quiet as stock.

Stock is a spark arrestor on pretty much any KDX. If you want quiet, stock is the best you can buy.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Often when your silencer is getting loud it means you need to repack your silencer. See how that goes first. Apparently the powercore isnt much of a gain over the stock silencer. Its more the exhaust pipe which is key.
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

The FMF is quite a bit lighter in weight than the stock silencer. Doesn't always matter to everyone but just FYI.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

To answer your question, you need to swap out to a stock or, IMO better than the stock H series silencer, an FMF Turbinecore. The add on screen type spark arrestors for two stroke bikes absolutely suck unless you like servicing it after, literally, every ride or two. Been there, done that, never again!

On the E series, I agree, the stock silencer is superior to any aftermarket option. However, on the H series I think the Turbinecore is better as it is serviceable, lighter, and still keeps you well below the 96dB limit. At races I routinely test between 87 to 92dB depending on how long since I repacked my Turbinecore.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 on the TurbineCore. I have been running one for a while and IMO it is nearly as quiet as the OEM and way lighter.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Did your bike come with the air cleaner lid and the snorkel? You mentioned not only the spark arrestor but wanted it to be quiet also. Both of those parts play a HUGE role in the sound. The snorkel takes out all the intake noise and is stealthy quiet. Running no lid after having the snorkel in is really loud, relatively speaking.

If you're worried it will choke the bike off, search youtube "kdx wide open song". That video and the guys other torture test video was all done with the snorkel in. I'd have to think most of us would be happy with the performance of that bike. I haven't seen those videos in a while. That guy rips.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I don't think my bike is loud without the air box lid and running an FMF desert pipe and Turbinecore silencer. Of course, I guess it depends on how quiet you want it. Here's mine being run hard:

'11 GasGas EC250R
sangle333

Post by sangle333 »

John_S wrote: 11:25 am Apr 22 2020 Did your bike come with the air cleaner lid and the snorkel? You mentioned not only the spark arrestor but wanted it to be quiet also. Both of those parts play a HUGE role in the sound. The snorkel takes out all the intake noise and is stealthy quiet. Running no lid after having the snorkel in is really loud, relatively speaking.

If you're worried it will choke the bike off, search youtube "kdx wide open song". That video and the guys other torture test video was all done with the snorkel in. I'd have to think most of us would be happy with the performance of that bike. I haven't seen those videos in a while. That guy rips.
Now that I'll have to take a look at. This is my first 2T so I'll learn as I go but, It just sounds very high pitched. I'm guessing that I just need to repack it. But then again it doesn't have a spark arrestor so, now I'm leaning towards the TurbineCore just for that, ugh!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

If you can get your sound down to 96 dB or lower by just repacking, you might look into an add on spark arrestor.

From what I have read, the USFS requires max .023" mesh screen across the exhaust opening. There's lots of youTube videos showing how to make your own, although some have clearly larger than .023" mesh screen.

If you want to get really accurate with this mesh measurement, a #75 drill bit measures .021", while a #72 drill bit measures .025". You can use these drill bits for GO and NO GO gauges.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I strongly recommend against a screen type spark arrestor on a 2T. That was what I was talking about in my earlier post about add on types. I had one on my '94 KDX250. After literally every ride the screen gets more and more buildup and starts to restrict exhaust flow which affects your jetting. It has to be removed and cleaned every couple of rides (if it's USFS sized screen) to keep your bike running properly. If you hadn't noticed, FMF and Pro Circuit do not offer screen type sparkys for 2T's.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just get a stock spark arrestor.
sangle333

Post by sangle333 »

sangle333 wrote: 10:15 pm Apr 22 2020
John_S wrote: 11:25 am Apr 22 2020 Did your bike come with the air cleaner lid and the snorkel? You mentioned not only the spark arrestor but wanted it to be quiet also. Both of those parts play a HUGE role in the sound. The snorkel takes out all the intake noise and is stealthy quiet. Running no lid after having the snorkel in is really loud, relatively speaking.

Now that I'll have to take a look at. This is my first 2T so I'll learn as I go but, It just sounds very high pitched. I'm guessing that I just need to repack it. But then again it doesn't have a spark arrestor so, now I'm leaning towards the TurbineCore just for that, ugh!
Hey John. Nope. No lid or snorkel. I posted a new topic. Where to get air filter cage because the guy cut it wide open so even if I get the gasket, top and snorkel it 1. wont attach and 2. seal anything. LOL
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I saw that. That kinda would be quite important on sound lessening / abatement.
sangle333

Post by sangle333 »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:12 pm Apr 25 2020 I saw that. That kinda would be quite important on sound lessening / abatement.
Those air boxes must be a hot commodity!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kdx200-Intake- ... Sw3TNeXy8a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-95-Kawasa ... xy66pRvkn3

Please read the descriptions THOROUGHLY. I did not.

Retail is around $320.
sangle333

Post by sangle333 »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:21 pm Apr 25 2020 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kdx200-Intake- ... Sw3TNeXy8a

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-95-Kawasa ... xy66pRvkn3

Please read the descriptions THOROUGHLY. I did not.

Retail is around $320.
Wow, thanks! looks like the first one could do the trick. It doesn't look look exactly like the image on partszilla but, it could be close. hell idk.