Question about tools for KDXGarage!

Got questions? We got answers....
'03KDX200

Question about tools for KDXGarage!

Post by '03KDX200 »

Hi KDXGarage :)

I have a question about special tools for the KDX that I know you are uniquely suited to answer, being a "special Kawasaki tools enthusiast". So, I've decided to take apart, clean and inspect my rear shock instead of having a shop do it. Looks fun. There are a couple special tools that I can still get, from rocky mountain ATV, but there's one thing I don't see for sale anywhere on the internet. The piston bushing installation tool. (Not the shock seal bullet tool, and not the shock seal head setting tool) The piston bushing installation tool lets you slightly stretch and then slide down into place the piston bushing around the piston. I don't even know if my current piston seal/bushing/ring (it has different names) is worn, but if it is I want to be ready to replace it.

...Not that I can even find a replacement piston bushing for sale anywhere online yet, I guess that's another story...

Now I know that some people have had luck stretching it down over the lip of the piston with their bare hands, but from what I've read a lot of people can't do this and end up messing up and destroying/distorting the bushing unless they've done it a bunch of times before already.

I have a diagram of the tool that I'm looking for! Isn't that nice?

Attachments
Rear shock piston bushing installation tool.jpg
Rear shock piston bushing installation tool.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Question about tools for KDXGarage!

Post by KDXGarage »

I have never seen 44 mm tools. I just notch cut them back in the day, like a Race Tech Gold Valve position band.

The last band I did was for one of my 46 mm pistons. I just stretched it on by hand after having it in boiling water and the piston in the freezer. After installation, I put the non-sticky side of symmetrical EDIT!! (electrical tape) tape around the piston and wrapped it about ten times. That shrunk it down a touch. I think the shock body will compress it down to size.

I have a 46 mm tool from Zip Ty Racing. Someday, I hope to find someone with a lathe to cut it down to 44 mm without charging $200 set up fee, minimum labor charge, etc.

Technical Touch USA had KYB 44 mm bands and pistons. Tucker and Western Power Sports used to carry them, so most any local dealer could get them.

Bladders, shaft nuts, bumpers and seal heads, too
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

@KDXgarage, I have a lathe. Unless it's hardened or configured in such a way to make setup difficult, I can do this for you. Got lots of time right now. PM me for details.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:15 am Apr 18 2020 I have never seen 44 mm tools. I just notch cut them back in the day, like a Race Tech Gold Valve position band.

The last band I did was for one of my 46 mm pistons. I just stretched it on by hand after having it in boiling water and the piston in the freezer. After installation, I put the non-sticky side of symmetrical tape around the piston and wrapped it about ten times. That shrunk it down a touch. I think the shock body will compress it down to size.

I have a 46 mm tool from Zip Ty Racing. Someday, I hope to find someone with a lathe to cut it down to 44 mm without charging $200 set up fee, minimum labor charge, etc.

Technical Touch USA had KYB 44 mm bands and pistons. Tucker and Western Power Sports used to carry them, so most any local dealer could get them.

Bladders, shaft nuts, bumpers and seal heads, too
YESSSSS!!! Thank you KDXGarage! As usual you have just the right information about this. That sounds like a great trick boiling it in water to soften it. What is the band actually made out of? It's odd to me that it is able to stretch at all, and then pack back down after being stretched. I imagine it to be simply metallic fibers smashed together to form a band, similar to brake pad material. Just my guess though.

That's a great tip about Technical Touch USA, Tucker and Western Power Sports.

This is a horrible dumb question but even in the service manual I don't see the answer: Is the KDX's rear shock a Showa or KYB?

One more quick question on compatibilty: is the rear shock for the H-series (2nd gen) KDX's the exact same as some year range of KX series bikes?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are welcome.

I don't know what the band is made of, but assume some sort of Teflon is part of it. It is somewhat fibrous.

I don't know about the KDX50, but I think pretty much all other KDX's besides some of the KDX80's have KYB. I know 1986 + anyway.

No. A last generation style KDX shock is unique to itself. I think 1993 + KX bodies are 46 mm (two-stroke wise) with 16 mm shafts. I think late 80's / real early 90's were 44 mm bodies with a 16 mm shaft.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:54 pm Apr 23 2020 You are welcome.

I don't know what the band is made of, but assume some sort of Teflon is part of it. It is somewhat fibrous.

I don't know about the KDX50, but I think pretty much all other KDX's besides some of the KDX80's have KYB. I know 1986 + anyway.

No. A last generation style KDX shock is unique to itself. I think 1993 + KX bodies are 46 mm (two-stroke wise) with 16 mm shafts. I think late 80's / real early 90's were 44 mm bodies with a 16 mm shaft.
Hmm well what about KX/KDX shock compatibility in terms of overall size, dimensions, and function? For instance are the rear shock for the 2005 to 2009 (latest gen) KX and 1996 to 2005 KDX just a straight swap? If so that might be an option for people since there seems to be better part support for the KX shock.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't know. I would assume they are longer. The clevis might be wider. I have never checked.

One can buy all the KDX normal wear parts.