Cooling advice

Got questions? We got answers....
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Cooling advice

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

You can smell it when you have a combustion chamber leak into the cooling system too just sniffing the radiator cap opening.
Try running one step cooler on the spark plug. Run the highest octane fuel available. Get a higher rated radiator cap as mentioned earlier. Not sure what bar the kdx radiator cap is.
Kawasaki radiator caps
49065-1070 1.1 bar
49065-1073 1.6
49065-1077 1.8
Restore rather than replace
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

kdxdazz wrote: 06:50 am Mar 12 2020 This is my Chinese radiator and the second photo is OEM radiator from a Klx250. Even though they are of very similar dimensions the Chinese radiator has 9 cores and the OEM has 17 cores. This would make a huge difference towards cooling efficiency. Can anybody confirm how many cores the OEM Kdx220 has
Looking at the photo in my Cyclepedia KDX manual (you DO have a manual, right?) it shows 13 rows of fins. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "cores"?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

1997 KDX220-B4 radiators are the same part numbers as 1995+ USA models.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

I would skip the computer fans and run a 4" Spal. Waterproof and has far more air output.

I work for Trail Tech and we make a universal fan kit that would do the job nicely. There used to be a couple other players in the market, but I think they've gone out of business. It'd be easy enough to piece together your own system, but find an industrial or automotive grade fan that puts out some decent airflow. I think the 4" Spal fans are 148 CFM iirc
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Pressingonward wrote: 03:10 pm Mar 17 2020 I would skip the computer fans and run a 4" Spal. Waterproof and has far more air output.

I work for Trail Tech and we make a universal fan kit that would do the job nicely. There used to be a couple other players in the market, but I think they've gone out of business. It'd be easy enough to piece together your own system, but find an industrial or automotive grade fan that puts out some decent airflow. I think the 4" Spal fans are 148 CFM iirc
A proper fan would be a help but it's not the main cause of my overheating as the temp light will come on just riding around on the road. Daytime temperature here is 40 degrees Celsius. Still convinced it's the Chinese radiators but I could be wrong
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

Ah. Missed that point. If you are above 5-10 mph and it's getting hot then yes, I'd probably suspect the radiators as well. You could pull them off and check the flow through them with a garden hose
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Pressingonward wrote: 08:26 am Mar 18 2020 Ah. Missed that point. If you are above 5-10 mph and it's getting hot then yes, I'd probably suspect the radiators as well. You could pull them off and check the flow through them with a garden hose
When I bought the bike the radiator cores were blocked, I had the tanks taken off then I personally went through every core with a hacksaw blade to clean them out. I tried running slightly richer jetting to cool it down but didn't seem to help. I'm going back to Australia next week so I will look at picking up some radiators from a big bore 4 stroke and modifying them or get a custom made set here in Thailand
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The interior passages may be partially blocked. A flow test will indicate that. Or they may just be of inadequate size and number for this application.