Air Striker (non RB Mod) Jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Air Striker (non RB Mod) Jetting

Post by firsthere »

After many hours of trying to jet the stock PWK, I finally threw in the towel and bought a Sudco Air Striker Quad Vent. Even though the bike ran pretty good, it used way too much fuel, and was very tempermental to temperature and altitude. So with the Striker arriving today, does anyone have baseline jetting to help save a little time and effort? Currently running 38p/CEL 4th down/155m 400o' elev.
Mods = PC- Platinum 2, stock silencer, air lid removed.

BTW: I have read the Sudco slide is too rich for the 200 so I plan to use the stock slide in its place. TKS.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Air Striker (non RB Mod) Jetting

Post by kdxsully »

How old was that carb?
I like turtles
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

That sounds like a good baseline jetting to use with the air striker. I have the 35 AS on a 220. I tried the OE #5 slide and the new 4.5 slide. I couldn't tell even the slightest difference so I stuck with the brand new one. I know you mentioned 200 and not 220 but still, I have to imagine that slide is going to be fine.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

kdxsully wrote: 05:22 pm Mar 06 2020 How old was that carb?
The carb is original with approx. 300 hours.
John_S wrote: 10:11 pm Mar 08 2020 That sounds like a good baseline jetting to use with the air striker. I have the 35 AS on a 220. I tried the OE #5 slide and the new 4.5 slide. I couldn't tell even the slightest difference so I stuck with the brand new one. I know you mentioned 200 and not 220 but still, I have to imagine that slide is going to be fine.
You are correct, The new slide seems to be fine along with the DEK needle that came with the AS. I ended up with 38p/ DEK 4th notch down/150 main. The bike now has a seamless power delivery with a mild hit up top but flattens out early. This is probably due to the PC II pipe. I may try the FMF desert pipe for the heck of it to see how it peaks .

Overall I would say it is well worth the $202 for the new Air Striker carb if anyone else is interested in the investment.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

firsthere wrote: 09:13 am Mar 15 2020
kdxsully wrote: 05:22 pm Mar 06 2020 How old was that carb?
The carb is original with approx. 300 hours.
John_S wrote: 10:11 pm Mar 08 2020 That sounds like a good baseline jetting to use with the air striker. I have the 35 AS on a 220. I tried the OE #5 slide and the new 4.5 slide. I couldn't tell even the slightest difference so I stuck with the brand new one. I know you mentioned 200 and not 220 but still, I have to imagine that slide is going to be fine.
You are correct, The new slide seems to be fine along with the DEK needle that came with the AS. I ended up with 38p/ DEK 4th notch down/150 main. The bike now has a seamless power delivery with a mild hit up top but flattens out early. This is probably due to the PC II pipe. I may try the FMF desert pipe for the heck of it to see how it peaks .

Overall I would say it is well worth the $202 for the new Air Striker carb if anyone else is interested in the investment.
Depending on what you ride I think you'll enjoy
that D needle with the PCII. I wish I'd tried that combo when I had my 200, but with cek3, RB airstryker, and PCII, (607's without the reed stops) my 200 screamed up top. Just a little too much hit for woods though. I ended up putting that pipe on my 220 and settled on the Dek4 with fmf woods on the 200.
I think it's pretty unlikely you''ll gain anything though going to the Rev, perhaps a couple hundred rpm, if even that. If you look at the profile of your Plat.II, and measure the circumference at the widest point, and where it occurs, I think you'll find it virtually identical to the rev. My money is on your main jet, play with that and you should find some more top end.
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I like this report on the Sudco QVAS. Been toying with the idea of replacing my 15 year old carb on my 2005 200 for a while. Couldn't quite afford the Lectron or the RB carb, so a Sudco QVAS sounds very good. Firsthere, where did you find one for $202.00 ? I can't find one for less than around $270. Thanks for all the good information.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Having a new air striker on my 220 has been excellent. After going through the jetting guide it's now really easy to jet. Jets R Us has them for $229 with free shipping.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Not having a 152 main jet, the 150 was installed but it may run better on top with more fuel. Till summer anyways, probably need to lower the needle as well.

The seller on ebay-Classic Cycle Parts has the 35mm ASQV for $202. PN 016-160
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I did see that one on ebay, but was leary of it being a Chinese clone, even though it is higher priced. I have seen and heard so much about those on ebay and people having problems wiyh them. Hope for your sake that it is not a CC. Let us know how it works out. I think I will get one from Jets R Us. It is a little higher but I know it is a Keihin carb. Thanks and good luck!!!
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I'd read about the clones also so was kinda leery. On Ebay, anyone posting/selling a false product won't be around long, and ebay backs you up in problem cases. Anyways, the Carb came with legit Sudco Packaging and paraphernalia so I'm fine with the purchase.

As a footnote, I bought the PC II pipe on ebay from a seller (small mc shop) new for $180 reg $229 a year or so ago. Gives one an idea on markups on some of these items.

That said Jets r Us is a great source with reasonable pricing, I have purchased parts from them several times. Hope your new carb works to to your expectations and please post your jetting results.
iann1030

Post by iann1030 »

Keihin 016.160 PWK 35mm Air Striker Carburetor

just bought this one last week
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

firsthere wrote: 09:01 am Mar 06 2020 BTW: I have read the Sudco slide is too rich for the 200 so I plan to use the stock slide in its place. TKS.
Just an FYI, you can cut the slide yourself or send it in to be modified very affordably. If the rest of your carb was worn out then the slide is as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Yes the slide looks worn down at the base.

Just thought to mention, the set float height from Sudco/Keihin allowed fuel overflow when leaned on the kick stand and needed to be reset. Might be a good idea to check this prior to install.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

firsthere wrote: 09:50 am Mar 19 2020 Yes the slide looks worn down at the base.

Just thought to mention, the set float height from Sudco/Keihin allowed fuel overflow when leaned on the kick stand and needed to be reset. Might be a good idea to check this prior to install.
My new carb was like that also. My daughter was watching me ride and mentioned that something was leaking. Setting it from the factory setting to 18MM took care of that plus made jetting changes very predictable.
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Bought a new Keihin ASQV from Jets R Us for $229.99 with free shipping. Installed 155 mj and 38 pj, set JD Jetting red needle at 4 clip. Started at 1 3/4 out on air screw. Got to ride yesterday at our riding area near town and I was amazed at how much difference it made the bike feel. So much smoother and controllable than it was before. Almost like a new bike. I think I'm really going to enjoy this purchase and would recommend it to anyone with a 15 year old carb as an upgrade. All FYI. Keep on BRAPPING!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the post-ride report! Enjoy!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128