Need KDX200 Steering set-up Advice for Hare Scramble's

Got questions? We got answers....
PinkMoonCow

Need KDX200 Steering set-up Advice for Hare Scramble's

Post by PinkMoonCow »

I just bought a stock 2003 KDX200 with only 150 miles on it! i got a great deal too! anyway...i want to set it up for Hare Scrambles and tight trail riding. I want to get new handlebars, handguards (that fit good on the new bars), a steering dampner, and new tachometer/speedomiter setup. Ive been racing a klx300 and i see alot of guys with awsome setups but none on a kdx200...mostly on ktm's. Are these mods worth it and do any of you have it set-up this way? what advice do u have so that everything fits well together on my bike...i hear alot of items that dont fit with other items...i dont want to run into this problem.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If your not doing a front conversion, drop your forks about 10mm in the clamps. Will help ya in the tight and cornering. I use a TrailTech Computer, went w/Renthal KX 7/8 Bars. Also, set your suspension up for your weight. It makes a HUGE Difference. Also, get rid of those Stock Dunlops if there still on there. I run, S12 or 756 front and 756 rear. Work the suspension 1st. Then go with a pipe/silencer and so forth
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
PinkMoonCow

Post by PinkMoonCow »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:If your not doing a front conversion, drop your forks about 10mm in the clamps. Will help ya in the tight and cornering. I use a TrailTech Computer, went w/Renthal KX 7/8 Bars. Also, set your suspension up for your weight. It makes a HUGE Difference. Also, get rid of those Stock Dunlops if there still on there. I run, S12 or 756 front and 756 rear. Work the suspension 1st. Then go with a pipe/silencer and so forth
by doing a front conversion...do u mean puting on kx forks? i hear thats the thing to do...if so, where do i get them from and what year kx forks fit my 03 kdx?

and i did get new tires, i love the s12 & 756's...ive been using them on my klx300. but i wanted to try something new and after some research i went with the maxxis 6001's...i cant wait to see how they do!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I believe your KLX front end will bolt right up. Just a thought or you will have to locate everything on EBAY. Wheels, TT & forks should be from same model year. ie: 1999 - 2001
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

on the home page of this site under general q's is a section for kx conversion all ithe info you need is there
04 kdx 200
PinkMoonCow

Post by PinkMoonCow »

ok i now know where to go for the kx conversion info....

what are your guys sugestions for bars, bark-busters, and steering dampeners? (that all fit nicely)?? :neutral:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

cant comment on most of that stuff but i love my pro taper bars.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

On my old KDX 220, i put some protaper fatty bars on that were cut about 2" shorter overal. I put a Scott's damer and bar clamp on. I found that calling Scott's was much easier than trying to pick parts out of thier online catalog. they were very helpful and everything bolted up fine. I think they forgot to send me the lower bar clamp parts but that was my fault. Just tell them what you have and what you want to do and they'll be happy to fix you up. The bars i bought were like "Barry Hawk" design bars, basicaly the same ones he runs on his bike.Every inch counts in tight woods. :grin:

I was really happy with thier damper setup and thats why it's going on my new bike.