1983 250 exhaust o-rings and aftermarket silencers ?

Got questions? We got answers....
professortp

1983 250 exhaust o-rings and aftermarket silencers ?

Post by professortp »

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the group and hoping someone can give me info on correct installation of what appears to be a rubber like o-ring at the cylinder exhaust outlet/expansion chamber inlet on my 83, 250. Also, what would be a good after market exhaust silencer, and where can I find one ? Thanks ! Professortp
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1983 250 exhaust o-rings and aftermarket silencers ?

Post by KDXGarage »

professortp wrote: 10:23 am Mar 03 2020 Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the group and hoping someone can give me info on correct installation of what appears to be a rubber like o-ring at the cylinder exhaust outlet/expansion chamber inlet on my 83, 250. Also, what would be a good after market exhaust silencer, and where can I find one ? Thanks ! Professortp
Welcome to kdxrider.net. Thanks for joining and participating. :bravo:

I do not know what size pipe is on your bike. This might be a possible option:

https://www.fmfracing.com/Product/Produ ... earchText=

As to the o-ring (reference number 92055), here's the parts fiche picture. There is a copper gasket (11009 reference number) between the steel pipe and aluminum cylinder to keep it from gouging the material. The reference number is not the part number.

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
professortp

Post by professortp »

Thanks for the quick reply. In reqards to pipe size I haven't measured it, but it's the stock exhaust whatever size that may be. My question is about the installation of the rubber-like o ring. The new o ring that came in the top end gasket set didn't fit securely in the groove machined into the exhaust port even after I stretched it until I was afraid of breaking it. Is that how it's supposed to fit ?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check the parts diagram here:

It says 55 mm diameter o-ring. What size is yours? (besides too small, ha ha :-) )

Is there not a groove in the pipe end?

Sorry to not be of much help on this. I have never seen a 1983 KDX250 (in person).
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

After looking on eBay at a pipe and cylinder, I am guessing the o-ring goes on the outside of the pipe, between the pipe and cylinder. The groove in the cylinder is where the outermost surface of the o-ring would rest. I would throw some silicone RTV on there besides just one o-ring.

A single o-ring is not the world's best sealing system. Later KDX's usually have the copper crush gasket and two o-rings.