Bogging down

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhIllBillY

Bogging down

Post by KDXhIllBillY »

Hey fellas.... just got my first KDX (kdx 220r 2003)
Seems like when I give it initial throttle it bogs
But when I double throttle it it opens up and pulls.
What’s going on
Ps.... I have put a fmf series 2 pipe on it
ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE EXTRA PARTS
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Bogging down

Post by kdxsully »

What do you mean “double throttle”

eBay has parts, check the for sale section here too

Sounds like you need to clean the carburetor, then if it still bogs, rejet.
I like turtles
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

I would start adjusting your idle air screw. You may need to change the pilot jet. Read some jetting posts.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That is a sure sign you need to clean and jet carbs, after you put in new plug, air filter, fresh fuel/oil, and make sure everything is mechanically sound.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on cleaning the carb as a first step. Then set the air screw to spec and see how she runs.
When I first got my new RB OEM style carb I had a bad big just off idle. A little playing with the air screw solved the problem.
KDXhIllBillY

Post by KDXhIllBillY »

Thanks for all the help fellas. Just found out the guy I got it from had it sitting in garage for a year at least. It runs and cranks right up but it won’t idle and “double throttle” means getting into it little bit backing off and gassing it again quickly ( hillbilly lango)
Fixing to pull it apart. Carb clean,etc... might even do a ring job on it since it’s beginning of riding season. I’ll repost after the TLC job for others in the future

PS don’t ya love how EVERY 2 stroke for sale online “has a fresh top end” only 4 hrs on fresh top end rebuild...😂😂.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Gotta love it. :roll:
I like turtles
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I can’t believe nobody has told him to check the piston yet to make certain it is NOT OEM. We’re getting slow!
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

doakley wrote: 07:49 pm Feb 28 2020 I can’t believe nobody has told him to check the piston yet to make certain it is NOT OEM. We’re getting slow!
That sentence gets repeated a lot but it's a 2003 model. Find it hard to believe that kawasaki made such a great bike for all these years but just kept using a defective piston. Something doesn't ring true
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

DO NOT dip the carb in Berryman's or similar! You will damage the hidden jet block gasket. About $20 now and an odd-ball security Torx T-20 to get the jet block off.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kdxdazz wrote: 09:36 pm Feb 28 2020
doakley wrote: 07:49 pm Feb 28 2020 I can’t believe nobody has told him to check the piston yet to make certain it is NOT OEM. We’re getting slow!
That sentence gets repeated a lot but it's a 2003 model. Find it hard to believe that kawasaki made such a great bike for all these years but just kept using a defective piston. Something doesn't ring true
Well, that's because it is true. It is a well known defect of production 220 KDX pistons. Some pistons would last for years, some for mere hours, but all of them, when they eventually do fail, send shrapnel through your engine. Just search the forums here and online and you'll see all the times when the factory 220 piston came apart over the whole production run of the 220. They used the same piston from the start in 1997 to the end in 2005. Smart thing is always check to see if the stock one is in there, and if so, immediately replace it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

SS109 wrote: 02:48 am Feb 29 2020
kdxdazz wrote: 09:36 pm Feb 28 2020
Well, that's because it is true. It is a well known defect of production 220 KDX pistons. Some pistons would last for years, some for mere hours, but all of them, when they eventually do fail, send shrapnel through your engine. Just search the forums here and online and you'll see all the times when the factory 220 piston came apart over the whole production run of the 220. They used the same piston from the start in 1997 to the end in 2005. Smart thing is always check to see if the stock one is in there, and if so, immediately replace it.
Agreed you can find lots of stories about that, you will also find just as many stories about guys running 60 70 80:1 oil ratio, did the kawasaki engineers really get the piston wrong and the oil ratios wrong. Not saying what your saying is incorrect but something doesn't add up
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Not worth the risk to me. When I bought my 220 I was unaware of the piston question. Still I pulled the jug and installed a new Wiesco piston/rings/etc. I just wanted to KNOW what was in there. It was only later that I learned of the stock question.