At last....

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

At last....

Post by Mark W »

Finally got out on the bike this past weekend. Went to my son's favorite track/trail area and had a blast. Impressions of the bike are so far:

1. Very quick compared to the old stocker. Especially out of a corner. I twist the throttel and the sucker actually goes. This is very nice to have.

2. Much more power in the upper rpm's. Whereas the old stocker would run out of gass, this is when the modded bike really starts to come alive.

3. I think I've lost some low end grunt. Not much but a little has been lost. This is fine with me as the way I use the bike the low low end grunt isn't needed.

4. Loud. this baby makes way more noise than the old pipe did. The noise is also significantly different (tinnier, rattlier, whatever). I definately prefer the stocker sound profile but given the new power/vs noise content, I'll keep the power and live with the noise.

5. I can now hit the throttle hard and wheelie in 3rd should I have the desire. First time I hit the throttle hard in 2nd I almost looped the sucker. So, whoever said I would loop it within the first 20 minutes of ridding it owes me some mulla. I can tell it is only a matter of time before it goes over though.

The scary part is now what I could do oin the bike should I ever have the balls to do so. Whereas I was previously limited as to how I could take some of the jumps on tracks do to the short run up, I could now easily get going fast enough to jump the long ones. I too much of an old man and chicken **** to try it so I think I'm safe i this area for now.

Did see a mojor wipe out. Kid was attempting a triple and came up 18 inches short. Bike hit the front of a jump lip and bounded high in the air. His leg jammed into the gorund and broke his femur right above his knee. As he came down, the bike fell on top of him and pile drove him into the ground. Bike went an additional 100 feet after landing on him. We measured the jump and it was exactly 90 feet had he hit it. Talking to the guy indicated that he just got a cast off his other leg due to a previous injury at the end of last season. This was his first ride out since. Also found out that the bike he was using was a buddies and that it was brand spankin new and on it's maiden run. Bike was in bad shape as well - pancaked rear wheel, twisted front everything, ruined pipe and exhaust, ect...

Ambulance arrived after 20 minutes and the paramedics rushed him off. Bet he doesn't feel too good today.

Anyway, love the new bike and wanted to say thanks again to everyone here who offered up advice and help in the reconstruction.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Mark - Depending on what your jetting is you might need to tweak it a bit with the new pipe to realize all of its potential. A RB'd carb will help bring back some of that low end and add even more on top. Your going to have a whole lotta fun once you adjust to the new power.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well, that's one way to 'break-in' a new bike :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project