Odometer

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Odometer

Post by jjavaman »

Hi kids, on my last ride my odometer quit working half way into the ride. I’ve taken it off and it will work if I hook it up to a drill so I know that works. I took the front wheel off and took apart the odometer drive, cleaned it up(wow was it packed with grease) the plastic drive seemed to be fine so I put it all back together. Hooked up the cable and no movement from it. I’m going to assume the plastic drive is worn out? The metal drive worm? In the odometer housing turned freely so that’s why I think the plastic drive is the culprit.
Any suggestions on what to do now? A cheap mountain bike odometer? Try and find the plastic drive?
Thanks in advance!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Odometer

Post by pumpguy »

Are you sure you don't have a broken cable? Should be pretty easy to check this out.

I've seen these parts on eBay from time to time, so that's probably a good place to look for these parts.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Cable is fine, as I said I hooked it up to my drill and it spun the numbers on the odometer so I know it’s not that.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Either the plastic drive piece that the cable end sits in is rounded out, or cracked and no longer holds the cable tightly. If you disassemble it and find thats the reason, it can be fixed by covering the end of the cable in plastic wrap, putting some epoxy in the hole, inserting the cable end and letting it dry. The plastic wrap should act as a release agent and allow you to pull the cable out. Reassemble and ride. Don't see these parts come up often online, maybe NOS. 95% of the KDXs I come across in the wild have long since lost the odometers, so congrats on having a working one so long!
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

So what are you using for an odometer or us yours working?