Crank run off tolerance

Got questions? We got answers....
Kdx2204life

Crank run off tolerance

Post by Kdx2204life »

Can anybody tell me what the crank run off tolerance is on a 2003 KDX 220 forgive me if I'm pronouncing it wrong but I'm worried I might have whacked my crank out of true
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Crank run off tolerance

Post by kdxsully »

I’d want any 2 stroke crank within .01”
I like turtles
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

i have the service manual in front of me now. it says standard is 0.03mm service limit is 0.08mm
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

The alignment of any pressed together crank should be as close as you can possibly get it.

Yes, you can knock the wheels out of alignment if you drop the crank. Been there, done that.

My service manual agrees with @kdxdazz posting above. In inches this translates to .0012" or less as standard, and .0032" maximum Total Indicator Reading.

Usual set up for checking is to mount the crank assembly between lathe centers and take the indicator readings off the bearing mount diameters. You might try checking the alignment with the crank on V blocks, but I never liked doing it that way.

I would think you could find online videos showing how a pressed together crank is trued up since motorcycle cranks have been built this way for over a century.