kvkdx's Thoughts on Fuel Ratio (NOT Fuel Mixture Calculator)

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

Re: kvkdx's Thoughts on Fuel Ratio (NOT Fuel Mixture Calculator)

Post by javjacob »

SS109 wrote: 06:33 pm Jan 25 2020 I respect Slaven but that doesn't mean his word is gospel for anyone else. With the riders he deals with, in their environment, his experience holds more validity than it does for someone who rides completely differently in vastly different areas. However, it is smart to take the experience of people like him and see how it does or can apply to you and your situation.

That said... I have run 40:1 for thousands of hours, including with the infamous Castor 927, and don't get spooge unless it's time to repack my silencer or I haven't changed the jetting for the current warmer/higher elevation. My plugs look perfect mocha brown and I replace them once a year only because I feel like I should. Any spooge from a KDX is due to poor jetting, bad/worn carburetor, the silencer needing repacking, or a leaking right crank seal. No, I wouldn't ever run a ratio thinner than 50:1 in a KDX no matter who says it's fine. I'll trust more in the Kawasaki engineers who designed the KDX, who spent some real R&D time and money figuring out what worked best in it, over anyone else. Yes, I'm sure they went a little conservative on the ratio to insure the bikes were well oiled so running a little less probably isn't going to hurt it. However, 80:1 or 100:1? I wouldn't even think about it! The newer 2T oils are good but they aren't two times better at protecting your rings, piston, bearings, or cylinder plating than the 2T oils available when the KDX was built. I really don't understand why some will cheap out on oil yet put a lot of money in power adders, stabilizers, whatever, for their 2T bikes. It just blows my mind.

One other thing a lot of people seem to forget when choosing oil ratios... you make more power with more oil due to better ring seal with all other factors being equal.. This is proven to keep working up to a roughly 16:1 ratio. I also believe ring and piston life will last longer, based on the better ring seal, with higher oil ratios under the same circumstances.

Take what I say for what it's worth and nothing more. My bikes are long term investments in to my own personal happiness. I do what I know to keep them living for the long haul and, for my riding style, under my circumstances, I have been proven right over the years. Does that mean my experience applies to you? No, not directly but it's as valid as any other experience(s) out there with the KDX. I accept that I won't be able to convince no one to not run the horrible Sabre oil, or 80/100:1 ratios, and everyone else should accept that no one will convince me of the opposite. :grin:
I agree with you on this. There is no way I would ever run anything higher than 50-1. I run the Sabre oil in my 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers and Stihl weedeater and chainsaw but I go 40-1. They just say you can go up to 100-1 but it also shows 50-1 and lower ratios on the back of the bottle. I run Dominator in my bikes at 40-1. Switched from Honda HP2 at 32-1. The thing people have to remember is you are lubricating everything in the engine not just the piston. I want my cranks to last too. I also tend to keep things pretty much forever. Seems like most the guys in favor of 50-1 and higher ratios are the guys who trade everything off every couple of years.

My 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers for example are not made anymore and the cylinders cant be resleeved, cant even be bored since there are no oversize pistons made. So once the cylinders are wore out they are done for good. I run 32-1 in them.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
kdxdazz

Re: Fuel Mixture Calculator

Post by kdxdazz »

rungrandpa wrote: 11:22 am Jan 23 2020 I e-mailed Slavens and asked about this. Jeff e-mailed me said he uses Amsoil Sabre at 90-1 - expects 90 hours out of his top end.
Lot's of people criticizing this mixture on blogs.
I run 50-1 and everything looks good when disassembled.
If you run 7000 to 9000 rpm constantly 32-1 or 40-1 would be in order.
I used to run 50-1 synthetic 2 stroke oil in the 70's! in my 250CC CZ at high RPM with good results.
Expecting 90 hours out of a top end says it all. For the kdx we should be looking at at least 20,000klms. Here in Thailand there are a lot of old 2 stroke scooters getting around, I've seen them with over 70,000klms and never had a rebuild and that's running the cheapest oil, I pulled down my rgv 250 top end at 52,000klms and it was like new. I would do 90 hours of run time on my kdx in a month.
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

"Expecting 90 hours out of a top end says it all." I should clarify - he says at 90 hours he doesn't need to do anything, but wants a fresh top end, so he replaces the piston. You can watch his videos if you're curious.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Yep I've seen that video before and still thought the same thing. Rebuilding enduro bike top end at 90 hours. That's about 20 rides in my book. Crazy
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdxdazz, are you riding on the street or off-road?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

In my opinion, SS nailed it. I don’t care what Slavens is running. He’s the guy who also recommends not using a torque wrench on the cylinder. And also recommends starting the bike cold and taking straight off without idling at all so you don’t gum up your power valve. I think he’s a little set in his ways kind of guy. Not saying I know more than he does but his word doesn’t mean much to my bike. I believe I read that Pastrana runs 16:1 and I’m not going to run that either. I run 40:1 Honda HP2 and before that ran 927 at 40:1, both with nothing running down the silencer, even putting through the woods. Occasionally when the weather changes it will have an inch or so drip but no black wet plug.
If I switched to 90:1 right now I would be leaning the amount of oil but richening the air fuel ratio. With the current jetting I would be spraying my back fender black and have sponge running down the silencer.
90:1 would require really small jets and 16:1 would require really large jets, relatively speaking to what I have now. The guy running 88:1 on the Beta likely needs smaller jets. Just because you’re running barely any oil doesn’t mean it won’t spooge.
Kvkdx if your plugs are black with 50:1 and you kept your carb set just how it is...the plug would look better and you’d have LESS spooge at 32:1. On the other hand, keeping the carb set just how it is and running 90:1 is going to make the plug darker and make more spooge than it currently makes.
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

My 90 KDX ran great at 32:1, 40:1 and now 50:1. The real deal is once you get it dialed in and it runs great, there is no reason to mess with it unless you like to experiment. I like to experiment a little, but mainly I like to go ride.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:58 am Jan 26 2020 kdxdazz, are you riding on the street or off-road?
Both, I don't own a truck so I ride from my condo to the mountains, roughly a 8 or 9 hour day, I also don't have a job so ride most days ☺️ or at least I did until I spun the impellor on the shaft and overheated the engine, would I have got away with with only a worn piston at a 90:1 ratio, I think much less likely. I run 35:1 and use a cheap semi synthetic locally made oil
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:51 pm Jan 25 2020 I'll pass:

APPLICATIONS
Use in all two-stroke handheld equipment where JASO FD,, ISO-L-EGD or API-TC oils are specified, including STIHL*, ECHO*, Toro*, Shindaiwa*, Craftsman*, 4-mix STIHL and Hybrid 4 Shindaiwa engines.

If you select 2006 KDX200, it shows Dominator or Interceptor.

Which plug are you using?
the middle choice BR8EG , not the base and I didnt see or feel any difference with the 9$ iridium one, so I went with the middle choice lol, Bike starts great , runs great and idles well, I rode yesterday at a park/track, I went and played on obstacles near the beta and husky guys, never got out on the track, I did realize how I normally ride is never really On the pipe, But running 50:1 does not really pose any issues for me, so I dont know why Im seeking change? Maybe sometimes I get to much spooge and it will drop down on my brake caliper so I guess Id like to see less spooge, but first day yesterday really riding, spooge was not bad, and was better than it has been before Lectron was installed, I think i will stay 50:1 - 60:1 ratio with dominator and just see how she does.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Even Lectron carbs need tuning. It's just done in a different way.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Clean out the pipe and spark arrestor / silencer. Old oil from bad jetting will still be inside even if one stumbles upon perfectly perfect jetting.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:51 pm Jan 25 2020 I'll pass:

APPLICATIONS
Use in all two-stroke handheld equipment where JASO FD,, ISO-L-EGD or API-TC oils are specified, including STIHL*, ECHO*, Toro*, Shindaiwa*, Craftsman*, 4-mix STIHL and Hybrid 4 Shindaiwa engines.

If you select 2006 KDX200, it shows Dominator or Interceptor.

Which plug are you using?
Amsoil also recommends Interceptor specifically for power valve 2-strokes, which is what I run - but Dominator seems to be the popular Amsoil choice here at kdxrider... :?
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe