Rear shock shim stack

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rear shock shim stack

Post by pumpguy »

kdxdazz wrote: 08:02 pm Dec 20 2019
pumpguy wrote: 07:55 pm Dec 20 2019 ".....and no-one has a bore gauge." IMO, not much of an engine shop.

If you really want to know your bore and piston measurements, go to a machine shop. I'm sure they will have a micrometer and telescope gauges. Even I have these tools and I just mess around in my garage.
Agreed, I couldn't believe it either, sometimes life in Thailand is not easy.
You might want to consider getting your own micrometer and set of telescope gages. They aren't that expensive really, and once you have them they'll last a lifetime. I've had mine for decades; generations actually.

Another thing to consider is, once you know your piston ODs and bore IDs, you will KNOW what you have, and won't need to trust to others for this information. YOU can then be the judge of what you have, and what to do next.

Good luck.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Your piston to bore clearance is .25mm? thats nearly 3x over the service limit. The impeller going probably saved you from a 4 corner seizure and more cylinder damage. Not to mention, if the piston is underbore the ring sealing is going to suck and you'd likely have lower compression readings.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

"I used to work on a few people's shocks on here 14 years ago. With just fresh oil an nitrogen charge, I got a couple of comments like "What did you do?" and "The clickers actually make changes I can feel now"
[/quote]

I remember wondering the same thing. Just the rebuild was night and day for me 10 years ago or longer. Then about 10 years later in 2019 look at me and the KDX now. The KDX is nimble and somewhat competitive all things considered and I am 10 years older which poses the question which one of us,me or the KDX, has seen the most changes and/or rebuilds?

Good luck on the shock dazz. Any work you do on it will drastically improve on how it is now so I should probably read the entire thread before replying-

Uhh yes I was typing to myself upon proof reading my already submitted post but KDX G will recognize the ramble. I strongly agree with doakly.