First impressions

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... your right... it would be dead on the bottom. Told ya I could be wrong! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

I am wondering the same thing on my bike, I do get the midrange hit and more top end but when I put my rev pipe on IT felt like my bike did not like the bottom end a whole lot. it did have low end but not nearly the snap it used to. I have a 40 pilot in could that be the culprit to lean. just sounds sorta similar to what I have, but not as extreme.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All of my KIPS problems were that it wasn't opening. I never had the stuck open issue. But that does make perfect sense.

I know they get so gooey if you don't use the right oil that they are slow to react and don't fully open or close properly.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Okay, I'm here to settle this.
I dropped the clip back to the 3rd posistion and readjusted the air-screw.
So it goes like that and a 42 pilot, 145 main and the air screw is at 1.25 out.
She howls at the moon to my suprise. I used to feel that nothing could touch my old 300, and nothing probably can BUT. That little 220 goes like hell right off the bottom and keeps going right through the mid like it's pissed. Still have no idea what the main will give me through the top, but I don't care. She flies through the woods like and Ewok on a stollen imperial hover-bike. (or whatever)
It felt good too when I did a little bushwacking on an old unused trail that led me up through a stream at one point. Were talking trialsin here! Lovin' it!! She did'nt spew and I did'nt touch the clutch. BRRAP! BRRAP!
I can't say enough good things about being a part of this forum.
Thanks. :prayer:
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Just curious, What oil do you run Inda?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

AMSOIL Interceptor... Hell... I even sell it I like it so much.

Here is a thread on it...

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2343
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Oooooooo! Expensive! Must try!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's actually cheaper to run than most. Mixed at 50:1
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

So, it appears that my bike likes the airbox lid. Sometimes a little restriction can be a good thing. It was the opposite case for my XR 600. I put a Yoshimura header and pipe on it and it never cleaned up off the bottom. It had a case of the cough and die's when you'd chop the throttle in a hard, braking turn where you'd have to whack the throttle on exiting. I put a uni-filter with high flow cage in and it was now able to get enough air into it to keep up with the exhaust flow. The Yosh header is huge on a 600!
So I'm thinking that the stock silencer on the KDX might not flow as well as say, an FMF turbine core (or any aftermarket stinger) I could be wrong. What ever it is, I had the jetting before and it still was'nt right without the lid. Now it is. Plus I did'nt care for the Buh-waaugh and vibration below my C-n-B rig. It was notably louder and that is not good in my area.
Definitely testament that each bike is different and that folks should'nt read a thread or somebodies profile and jet their bike the same. It is well worth the time to go out and test your bike and get to know her. :grin:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

good deal....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So... I was right! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yep... :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'It is well worth the time to go out and test your bike and get to know her'

Yes it is. It's critical if you want 'things' right. Jet by mail, email or vague suggestion rarely works.

BTW...don't take offense at some of the more simple suggestions. Yes, from your writeups you seem keen on what's going on, but often the obvious is overlooked...and what 'seems' is hard to judge thru a forum post. ..sometimes.... :neutral:

re: 'it still was'nt right without the lid.'

I never liked my bike without the lid. I also didn't like the noise, and never did find a correct low throttle setting.

BUT....you can improve the performance of the bike by venting the lid top. Leave it on, just drill it full of holes.

'Full' meaning a dozen or so 1/2" holes. You can use some filters made by UNI to somewhat filter the lid if you wish. They take a larger than 1/2" hole.

Your off-idle response will improve but you won't have the duck-quack noise you get with NO lid and a quick wick of the throttle.

IMO: An aftermarket SA is an improvement performance-wise over the OEM unit..and it's NOT just weight. It's also not earthshattering..but there is a difference.

Of course, you will be packing and repacking an aftermarket unit. None of that on the OEM piece.

Glad to hear you like your scooter! Especially with you coming off that monster punkin. I've talked to a couple riders of the Great Punkin...they have agreed: 'A lot of fun!! ...but too much bike for the woods!'

Well, the 'woods' 'round here anyway.

re: 'like it's pissed...'

Ha!! :wink:

Welcome to Greenland!!

...when are you getting rid of that 'lil 33mm carby??? ;)

Ha! You think the bike works NOW...just wait! There's more! Quite a bit more.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Probably a mod that will take place next winter, along with porting the head.
I thinks I am going to get an FMF "Q" silencer very soon.
I actually had to put the steering damper on hold for another week or three. I must have it though, before my first enduro which is on June 4th.
The King Philip in Wrentham, Mass.
Pretty excited. I used to race X-C mountain bikes and love killin' it in the woods for 3 hrs. at a whack!
Thanks again for all the input.