New Info on Jetting...

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

New Info on Jetting...

Post by motorhed220 »

Just incase anybody wanted to know...and if you did sorry for wasting your time,

but if you get a Gnarly pipe or any pipe, i was told by dealer, he easist way to configure your head or jetting to you pipe is not to Jet, but change the plug size, so if you are running Ngk B8es, like i am, and say its topo rich after you tst drive with the new pipe, then change the plugs to say a 7, this should fix the problem...

anyone agree or disagree, what do y'all think?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I disagree.... all that does is mask a badly jetted bike. Jetting is forever... a plug is not.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

I expect you'll hear a little more on this topic :lol:

** Do you own a set of industrial strength earplugs? Better keep 'em handy!!!
Last edited by GS on 07:10 pm Apr 06 2006, edited 1 time in total.
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

But would you have to jet the whole bike? or just the piolet jet a bit?
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

i really dont know, see thats why im postin this...get sum feed bac
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Anywho all im askin, why is rejettin the whole bike sooooooo necissary??? not only does it take time, though doing a carb isnt that bad, and MONEY, something im tight on, when changin a plug can give you same preformance as rejetting, (unless it doesent in which case im f*cked)
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

if you cant afford jets, how do you afford gas. :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Wow, simmer down now!
Jetting is so damn easy. It is so damn important. It is free to be a member of this site and take advantage of the posts that completely explain how to test your jetting. The hard work has been done by all these cats so you can go down to your shop (actually, I would go to another shop if your current is telling you to change plugs) buy a few plugs and a couple of jets on either side of the stockers and get into it. It takes about 5 min. to completely change your jetting after about 1min. it takes to pull the carb out. It also only takes a few extra moments to complete sentences and spellcheck.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jetting is something you want to know if you ride a 2 stroke bike. Jetting is important because temp changes and altitude play a role in running lean or rich. No sparkplug change will fix a lean or rich condition.

Jets are not expensive at all.... $25 should buy all the jets you will ever need.

Do a plug chop and see how it's running. Probably rich if it's stock. If that's the case.... Buy one main and one pilot size smaller. That will more than likely put you in the ballpark.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Learn what a plug chop is and how to read the fuel mix ring at the base of the ceramic insulator. Yes, it does cost at least one brand new plug to find out if the main jet is correct. But the payoff in performance is so great, that it's well worth it.

Successfully jetting your bike is like sex for the first time: You never knew what you were missing until you did it. Then, of course, you can never go without ever again!! A well jetted bike is an awesome thing, much like a willing girl.

****EDIT****
(Sorry Cindy, if your'e offended. I just learned you monitor the site)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

yeah, most dealers don't have a clue about bikes at all. they just got the job because they were good salesmen, not because they knew bikes verry good, unless they're in the back putting bikes together or fixing old ones that come in for them to sell, in which you never get a chance to talk to them.

on the rejetting subject, i run the ngk b7es, but also we rejetted it to run right. so you can switch to that spark plug, rejet it. get it close to perfect, and then switch spark plugs.

Also, if you have a good friendly dealer, you can go in, buy one set of jets, and then if you need to change it (just tell them you rode around your house to see of the jetting was right), you can just exchange the one you don't like with a different sised one. that will save you a bit of $$$ :mrgreen:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
motorhed220 wrote:Anywho all im askin, why is rejettin the whole bike sooooooo necissary??? not only does it take time, though doing a carb isnt that bad, and MONEY, something im tight on, when changin a plug can give you same preformance as rejetting, (unless it doesent in which case im f*cked)
I agree jetting is about money and time. If you dont take the time your gona spend the money from running on the rich side or the lean side. its far more time than money,all the tech advise is ready at any time. the only easy way is if you have money and a good mechanic. take time do a little reading on the basics of the carb and do it. after all the main is easy to change and the needle position is easy as well thats most likely that you will have to deal with.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here's the straight scoop for 'ya! :shock:

Your dealer is an idiot. Making such a comment (as you say he did) clearly paints him as a moron.

Jetting is the number one tool you have at your easy disposal (even compared to others not at all easy) to make your bike run as it should. You can argue the fact if you like...you'll just be wrong.

The pilot is changed for the purpose of making the bike run better...where the pilot is used. Changing a pilot jet when you have a main problem is MISSING the main (thass'a joke) problem.

Although...you can change pilots all day and NEVER get it right if your main jet is way off.

re: 'if you cant afford jets, how do you afford gas.'

Well said.

re: 'STAY AWAY from that dealer!'

Very well said!

Well, maybe it was just a boob salesman AT a particular dealer. If it was ANYone having to do with wrenching on stuff...keep their wrenches OFF your bike!

BTW..re: 'when changin a plug can give you same preformance as rejetting,'

Really? Does that mean I can have the output of a KX250 if I just run a '5' heat range plug?

Changing the heat range of your plug may let your bike run out of the staging area with crummy jetting....but it's not going to run BETTER getting there.

Plainly said, that is a bogus idea. Flubgubbery!! Tomfoolery and beschmuckin's!

Dodgy, too!

I'm sayin, 'That idea has wrinkled duct tape allll over it!!!'

It's wrong, too! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!