Possible dumb question

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Possible dumb question

Post by Mark W »

I thought I was going to be riding this weekend but it now looks like we are to get some bad rain either later tonigh or tomorrw which means the track/trail area we ride will be all mud and probably closed.

Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture of what a Gnarly Desert pipe should look like compared to the Ganrly Woods pipe? I'm hopin I got the correct one but am unsure after some recent reading. The FMF site shows the same pic for both pipes. Mike bike is a 2002 220R.

Thanks -
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC has a desert on his... I have a woods on mine in the gallery....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

LOOK ON THE MOUNTING TAB AT THE FRAME ABOVE THE FMF LOGO ON THE PIPE. PART NUMBER SHOULD BE 121 020057 FOR WOODS, OR 020056 FOR DESERT PIPE .
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

FMF has been known to mark their pipes wrong.

Someone's been smoking wacky tobacky over at FMF, I think...... no, I'm sure someone is, I think........... Dude, what were we talking about???

Man, I'm hungry!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

I saw a picture of your's Inda and couldn't find any of CC's. I did look at Bradf's and his pipe looks more like mine. The pipe I got is more angular (right angles that is) compared to yours which is more 45 de4gree angular if this makes any sense.

So, by looking at a pic of yours and thinking mine doesn't look like this, I must have a desert.

Comments?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Do you have a pic of your up?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

yes, if you ride in the woods, i would definately suggest you go with the gnarly pipe. it is made out of mutch stronger stough that will save you from denting the desert one all to sh1t. it may be like one pound heavier, but unless you're like jeff fredette or something, it shouldn't be a very big deal.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

As far as I know, all FMF "Gnarly" pipes are the same gauge steel. The Desert and Woods pipes are both "Gnarleys"
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's CC's crunched Rev!

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

OK...

Post by Mark W »

mine looks more like the profile that you posted of CC's minus the dents. Mine's shinier as well so there...
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

The -30 rev pipe almost touches the plastic side radiator cover (like CC's). The -35 woods pipe has about 1 5/8" (on my bike) to that same point.
'95 200H
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Dear 'Mine is shinier neener neener neener...'

Measure both at the largest part of the bell...where the diverging (gettin' bigger) and the converging (gettin' smaller) cones are welded together.

The FmF gnarly will be about 13 (plus)" in circumference.

The FmF gnarly will be about 14 (plus)" in circumference.

Make sense?

Of course not. That's because saying you have a 'gnarly' pipe means zip/nada in regard to what profile it is.

The -30 will be approx. 14" around.

The -35 will be approx. 13" around.

Mismarked pipes? Some kind'a newfangled ..0057 numbering system?

Not to worry.

The 'rev' (works better in the upper rpm ranges) is the 14" around.

The 'torque' (works better in the lower rpm ranges) is the 13" around.

That covers it, doughnut?

BTW..I rode today. In the rain. Most all rain. Some gates WERE closed, but that was resolved with what looked to be 12mm Howitzer rounds..LOTS of 'em!!

No wonder your pipe is shiny!! You don't ride in the MUD!

BTW#2..that crunched looking pipe that Inda says is mine? IT'S a gnarly! By 'rule', therefore, it may not be shiny, but it is definitely NOT dented to sh1t!! :wink:

..so much for not denting...much... :shock:

:neutral:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:08 am Jul 28 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

under 20, it looks like mine sorta kinda , over 30 well lets see there must be a number on that thing, over 50, I cant beleive you dumb arses dont no there is no reason for stupidity and I cant take any more so this is the way it is !! now stop guessing at it!!!
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.