Hand guard question

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hand guard question

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've seen some handguards that don't attach to the inner part of the bars, they go across and join at the upper triple clamp. Since I'm looking at going to fat bars when I get my KX forks on, I was thinking of going that route too.

Question is for those that have this type of handguard, How do you like them, and where do you get them?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

The Cycra pro bend guards are the ones!
I have the barmount, but they are actually known for their kick ass top clamp mounting system.
They are distributed through Parts Unlimited. I don't know if that is a supplier out west, but if so you can get them from your local shop.
I like these guards far above and beyond any others I've had.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

If you already have barkbusters and you just want to use the triple clamp mounting method, Rocky Mtn sells Cycra's triple clamp mounts for about $40. I bought them and used them to connect my FRP barkbusters to the triple clamps. Works very well, but now I want the full Cycra setup!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

how much is this setup cost as i am looking for new bark busters for my protaper bars.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check with rockymountain. Be sure to get the correct triple clamp mounts; there are 2 types. If you look in the catalog on on-line you will see the difference. They really are the best out there and easily worth the extra money.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

In looking at these triple tree mounts, they have "Front mount" and "Side mount" options. In looking at my '03 stock triple trees, the bolts are in the back. Whassat mean? Will the side mounts work? The Cycra site doesn't show any examples that I could find.
Mike

'04 KDX220
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

That's a "front mount". If the bolts came in from the side, it would be a "side mount".

And when you crash and burn, that's a "dismount".
:razz:
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And if you dismount, just make sure you don't become a bear mount! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I emailed a question to Cycra, and they said they don't make a triple clamp mount for the 03 KX's since the bolts come in from the rear.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's a way to use the mount for your 03 clamps:

Exchange the bolt for a longer one. Torque to spec. Mount the Cycra unit to the extended threads on the longer bolt. Add a nut. You got 'er done!!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

That sounds like it could work Jerry, the only thing is without the parts in hand, I don't know if the rounded portion of the front of the triple clamp would interfere with the Cycra front mount bracket. The round part kind of blends right into the threaded holes.

Not to annoy the monkey or anything, but have you actually seen this and know it to work, or are you speaking theoretically here?

Thanks for the idea.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have not seen this in use. Too bad it takes a front mount, I have a set of side mounts laying around and would send them to you to try if they were the style you needed.

Check eBay for an aftermarket upper tree with a side bolt pattern for an '03. I think TAG has it that way. You might get one for a cheap price and if you do, I'll send you my sidemount tripleclamp set. Cost? A donation to Vince's site here is all I want for them.
Jerry

Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

Be a man! Forget all this protection stuff!! :razz:

Seriously though, I've heard of people breaking their wrists in a get off from the Barkbusters. I remember one particular crash I had that would have given me that exact results if I'd had solid mount guards like that. It's kinda like getting injured by the air bag deploying in a minor fender bender. Ain't it ironic....getting hurt by all the safety gear. :?
'95 200H
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well that could happen, but I can show you some very deep gashes in my existing handguards from collisions with boulders and trees. One of which would surely have broken my hand (because it also broke my ribs). Not to mention the numerous broken levers and throttle assemblies they've saved me. I hear what you're saying, but I'll take my chances with the handguards!
Mike

'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Both Cycra and Fastway make handguard systems that mount to either the top tripple clamp or to a solid mount bar clamp. Both manufacturers build quality stuff.

Just as a note...I've had several riders come in this year to switch from the solid type mounting system (ie. tripple clamp set up or bar mount) to go back to a bar mounted system. Thier complants with the solid systems were that the solid mount allowed the hand guards to bend easier in a crash than the bar mount set up. Also, that the solid systems took away some of the flex that Fat bars are designed to give, leading to rider fatigue. All of these riders are rediculously fast. :prayer: I've never been fast or run one of the solid mount systems, so I can only relay some of the feed back I've had from others. :wink:

Also, as a note...I haven't met a rider yet that has any experience with breaking a wrist due to the handguards. I've have seen and met several riders who have broken fingers and hand bones because they didn't have hand gaurds. Ussually, they are coming in to buy a set. :shock:

There are a lot of good options out there and each person has thier own preferance of what looks cool and works well for them.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

At my age I've backed things down a bit from riding right on the edge of control so I won't become so familiar with Mr. Tree and Mr. Boulder. If I pushed the envelope at this point in life I'd have to wear an OSHA approved foam rubber body suit.....say, maybe I could market that as the next big step in body armor! :razz:
'95 200H
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

ya know, some scientific study must have been done that came up with the notion that everything for a dirt bike should cost $70. I just picked up my pro taper bars ($70) and figured I'd just pick up some bar mounts for $15 or $20. Ha!! no, those are $70. I balked at that and just came home with the bars. I called Scotts to get the skinny on what they have to mount the damper; top clamp, $70. lower bar mount, $70. then I would still need either the adapters for the bar guard inner mounts which I was trying to avoid, or something like the bonz ($70). Now I'm thinking to just give up and get the Scotts upper triple clamp that comes with solid lower bar mounts and the upper clamp/damper mount. it also allows use of the cycra triple clamp mounted bar guards.

My bike is a green hole to throw money into. :roll:
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

But look at all those holes in the bonz. Lots of spots to mount stuff with those holes.
Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah, everything except my damper. plus, after having a one-piece top clamp, I'll never go back.
Mike

'04 KDX220