Hand guard question

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There's a damper in the photo. What you whining about? It's only money and you can't take it with you. Think of all the money you make in a year. Now, how much of that goes towards anything you want? Not much, huh. So don't feel bad about spending a little hard earned money on something you enjoy. Could be you were spending it at the titty bar, buying watered down drinks for the girls along with your buddys. Now which you think the wife would prefer; a dirtbike trinket or a trollop?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

DOH!! Missed it due to the bright gold camouflage. You make a lot of sense Jerry. But that's cuz I'm a guy. Doesn't quite play out that way to Cruella. Well, I gotta go order that Scotts triple clamp before I head off to the titty bar.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Cruella!!! HaW!!!

While you're off ordering your Scotts, I'm off to go pour some concrete and then go buy myself a new truck!!! (See my other post)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

After you get done with that concrete and pick up your new truck, you might as well load'm up and get here by signup time tomorrow...

Trollup? That's right up there with 'strumpet'. :?

I haven't heard either word in years!

What an education there is on this board.....

Mike: Re...money, where it goes, what good it does...

You have plenty of time to get loaded up yourself for a trip down this-a-way for Ski's Memorial Day hosted ride. Get Cruella a new puppy to keep her happy... Maybe a few puppies if she takes a 'large' size. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

CC- LOL!! :lol:

I guess a pup is name-appropriate, but I like dogs. I always thought people like her ought to get monkies at pets. Errr.. no offense Jerry.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I would, CC, but they have to build MY BRAND NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(plus I have another commitment Sunday)

The last time I bought a car for myself was my last truck, a Ford F250, 1984.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Concerning handguards...sorta..

Mr. Steahly broke his left hand about a week ago. Acerbis guards (metal) didn't protect him from the tree he hit.

But...that wasn't the real problem as I understood it. It was having an autoclutch that broke his hand. He figured a clutch lever/perch would have prevented getting broken bones.

There 'ya go! Autoclutches break bones!!!

Well...thems what's gots no brake levers anyway. :?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have the FRP Guards. I nailed a tree yesterday in a HS and they DID NOT BEND, dent, NADA. Just rotated down a bit. The tree had more damage. Nice & wide shield on them also to keeo mud and crap off your fingas :cool:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I ordered a pair of the Cycra (front) triple clamp mounts for my KDX. Couldn't get them to fit :( Not even close.

Sent some pics to Cycra. The design has very little adjustability. Depends a lot on your bars and geometry. Also, if you stand on the pegs a lot and like your controls dropped you can't drop the guards at all.

They were very helpful. Offered to exchange the triple-clamp mounts for a set of the equally priced U-clamp mounts (http://store.cycraracing.com/prrapawiuclh.html). These better resist twisting than the regular handlebar mounts (4 bolts vs 2) and are stronger because they lack the additional adjusting bar. Of course you loose some adjustability.

Since I'd already been thru one cycle of fitment woes I went for the regular bar mounts and they sent me an extra set of plastic guards to make up the cost difference. I'd have preferred the u-clamps as I think they are in between the regular mounts and the triple clamps in terms of being stronger but still having some flex.

Tony
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but you can officially count me as a person who broke his wrist with solid barkbusters. Left scaphoid bone broke nice and clean all the way through (Nov'05) after a high speed run-in with a tree. The barkbuster was fine but I was off the bike for about 6 months!!!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I run solid barkbusters, have gone over the bars more times than I like to remember and have only broken my wrists ONCE (from ground impact not B/Bers). The amount of broken fingers I would have sustained without barkbusters fitted is alot more than one thats for certain. Run them angled down as low as possible and you should be fine.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

People whine about guards at work too... until they remove them and somehow their fingers are removed shortly thereafter.

They have a purpose ... and that is safety. There is no law stating you have to run them so if you don't want too... don't. :wink:

I will take my chances with them.... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Oh, I absolutely plan to get new barkbusters, I just need to figure out which ones. (Especially since I broke my FRP ones last night!) Vince, those D-Flex ones look happy with your KX fork setup; I'll probably just do that and order a Trail Tech computer at the same time.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure