When to Use a Wrench and When to Use a Socket??

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

When to Use a Wrench and When to Use a Socket??

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, here is another tool thread. When do "YOU" decide to use a wrench instead of a socket? I know that if I can't reach it with a wrench due to the bolt head being down in a recess, that I have to use a socket, but besides "it won't fit", what are some situations on which you guys prefer one or the other?

Thanks!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Sometimes speed determines what to use. Sockets and a speed wrench are the fastest other than using air powered. Sockets and ratchet next fastest. Wrenches being the slowest. Space usually is the deciding factor if I use a wrench though. On larger sizes like 17mm and above, the wrench is longer than the ratchet so you can get more torque. I stay away from the open ended end of the wrench until it is broke loose. Ratchets usually fit the hand better and don't hurt like the wrenche's open end does in the hand. I always try to torque using the box end so I am always holding the open end. So usually sockets are my first choice...I am always in a hurry and need the speed. I have found that using the 1/4" drive ratchet gives more feel and has way less chance of stripping threads on the smaller stuff, like those 10mm fork nuts.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

as a side note: When rushing into a pit fight after a race, use a wrench!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is a speed wrench?

I have a 15" 1/2" drive breaker bar that I use on most medium/large nuts. After they are broke loose, I use the socket and ratchet. I have been using almost all sockets for the last few years, but I have just started buying more wrenches. It seems like 95%+ of the fasteners can use a socket. I thought I might be missing out on something or need them one day.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to make sure I have the right tools to work on the bike, while hoping that they might work on the truck/car/bicycle and other less-then-KDX-worthiness items.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"as a side note: When rushing into a pit fight after a race, use a wrench!"

I am so slow that the people who finished in front of me are not only not mad at me, but some have packed up and left by the time I complete the course. :-)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

A speed wrench has the U-bend in the middle. look here:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 0944161000
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh yeah. I have seen those before. Thanks.

Do you have one? If so, how well does it work for working on a KDX?