Yeah, Yeah with the same old questions!

Got questions? We got answers....
kdennan

Yeah, Yeah with the same old questions!

Post by kdennan »

Just gotta ask. I have been throwing down some serious coin lately on the new KDX. I just sold the pumpkin 300 this morning and I am getting ready to spend some more. Since my bike is new enough to get away with changing a sprocket alone, if I throw a Sunstar 49T on the rear with the stock 108 link chain (stock rear is 47T) am I going to notice any more low end grunt? I have been tooling around doing the new piston break-in and notice that I want a little more on the bottom. I have done all basic mods along with the FMF desert pipe. I have read similar posts in the archives, but thought I'd start over. If I have to I guess I can go to a 50T but that would put me into a new chain and CS sprocket right? I have a few other items on my list so I only ask about the 49T because it obviously would be cheaper than the whole kit.
Thanks in advance guys!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd personally leave the stock 47t on and switch to a 12t in the front. Its cheaper and your stock chain will work. Should give you results similar to a 13/50. If you like it when your front sprocket wears out you can switch back to a 13/50.

What else do you have on tap for your KDX?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Is it okay to put a 12T on in terms of torque on the drive shaft? I don't remember where I heard it, but is it going to be rough on the engine? If it's okay then that sounds like the deal to do. Next up on the list is Pirelli MT 32 rear (120/100-18) and MT 44 front (80/100-21) Bridgestone Ultra-heavy duty tubes to go along for the ride. I already have the engine where I want it and necessary guards too.
Front forks are tuned. Not sure what to do with approx. $400 (the rest goes to wifey for putting up with me) Should I spring for a W.E.R steering damper or go for little things like solid rear rotor, Fredette kick starter, IMS pegs and some new riding pants? I'll update my profile so it should list everything up to current.
Thanks
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Okay, added my bike to the readers rides. Q: How do I put a picture up?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The 12t is perfectly fine. If your happy with the engine then a steering damper is a good next mod. With what you've done to your KDX though I'd be looking at the RB mods and a KX front end to make a good thing even better.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

[img]www.yourpic.com/whatever.jpg[/img]

That's how! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks Inda. I think I'm gonna toss the whole stock drivetrain in a box with all of the other stock items and get the Sunstar 13/50 combo with a Regina ORS, gold chain in a 110 link. might have to wait on the damper but I know that it is the next big thing. KX forks.... Hmmmm.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

AAAAAUUUGHHH!!!!!!
I ordered the damper right now off the WER website!
Wifey told me to get the little things later. Finish up with the damper, tires and put the 12T CS sprocket on and call it a show. My brother-in-law is coming up next weekend with his new GAS GAS so it is time to shock-and-awe!
I'm gonna try and download the pic now.
Thanks again, Inda.
Between you and Jeff I'm gonna end up sleeping with my bike in the barn. :partyman:
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Okay, I'm in the gallery
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nice pics...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks! I'll update when I get my steering damper.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very nice.... love the background too! That's Vermont? :shock: :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Yes sir. Stratton Mt. I love to break the law and rip up that sucker once in the spring and one more time in the fall after the fist snows. 70 mile loops right from where the bike is parked!! Winter can be long but I love it up here!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmm..... I'm gonna have to reconsider my choice of locales...

That's beautiful!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

hey kdennen, just wondering... are those aftermarket hand gaurds? they look MUTCH stronger and sturdyer than my stock ones!!! i would have really nice MSR bark busters, but when my brother "inherrited" my old bike he took them with it. :mad:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

just to add, i got a fredette kick starter after i twisted mine. i love the thing, easier to kick in the woods and feels stronger when you kick it
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Yes, 14yr. old, they are the Cycra Pro-bend racer pack. (traditional bar mount)
I have alway used the Acerbis, but heard so many rave reviews about these that I had to try them on the new bike.. I love 'em. Super easy to mount and big fat plastic that can be replaced, unlike the Acerbis stuff.
Everything has been ordered and should have it all in and on the bike by next weekend, right in time to ride! I'll try and remember to get some pics and add them to my gallery.
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Kdennan, what jetting did u use on the gnarly Rev pipe?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Well, that is the topic on top right now. I have been running the Kawie recommended 32:1 but will probably switch to 36:1 or most likely 40:1 this weekend and rejet if necessary. Go to profiles and check out all the details on my mods and jetting. Couple of nice pics in the gallery too. Definitely updating my profile tomorrow afternoon because I have a boat load of parts to pick up at the dealer first thing in the morning. More pics to come after the first ride this Sat. :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'Front forks are tuned..'

You didn't say what all that entails...but...

Lot'sa riders like the OEM forks better with a couple of the largest (probably 24mm) off the top of the stack. I never messed with my OEM valving..just replaced it. Get yourself a 14mm allen, lay the bike down (prop the forks up some.. don't have to change the oil), take out the OEM valves, remove a couple of shims.

Would take about ten minutes.........

Look forward to some good pics!

Where's your helmet cam??? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!