6 point sockets vs. 12 point sockets

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

6 point sockets vs. 12 point sockets

Post by KDXGarage »

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on 6 pt sockets vs 12 pt sockets? I prefer 6 sided, but if it were a super-tight fit, I can see where I might need a 12 point. It seems 6 point would give a more sure grip.

If anyone has any thoughts to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Six points are stronger than 12's in that more surface area makes contact with the corners. All 1/2" and 3/4" drive air impact sockets are 6's. There are some metric 12 sided nuts/bolts that require 12 sided socket/wrenches. For the common sizes a bike needs (6-15 mm) a 12 sided high quality socket will be fine. Open end wrenches will round corners easier that a good quality 12 point ever will.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

r: 'Six points are stronger than 12's in that more surface area makes contact with the corners'

..which is why I choose a six any time I can and a 12 only when I have to.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I try and use only 6 sided sockets. I've not run into any situation that a 12 sided was needed. The ratchet mech. on the wrench should have fine enough clicks to get the socket to line up with it.
I got a set of those open end wrenches that have a ratcheting box on the other end. These are the best new product I've seen in a long time. They ratchet and fit into tight spots. You don't need to get the type that reverse, just turn the wrench over to change from tightening to loosening.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
cicone

Post by cicone »

skipro3 wrote:..... just turn the wrench over to change from tightening to loosening.
Huh?? I just use the other end. It was confusing at first, but I have the on and off ends identified with a "+" and "-" sign on masking tape. Ooops, wrong site! :mrgreen:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

my wrenchs look like the standard open / box end wrenches except the box end has a one way ratchet built in. For tightening, the wrench goes on one way and to loosen, just turn the wrench over.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
cicone

Post by cicone »

skipro3 wrote:my wrenchs look like the standard open / box end wrenches except the box end has a one way ratchet built in. For tightening, the wrench goes on one way and to loosen, just turn the wrench over.
I'm just goofing with you. Seriously though, anyone know were I can get a metric phillips head?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

:butthead: :prayer: I was wondering what "wrong site" meant. You Bad!
Jerry

BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

I have a left handed metric phillips head if you need to borrow it. :wink:
________
GREEN CRACK PICTURES
Last edited by BJH on 08:07 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for all the replies so far. bradf, Snapon makes some 12-point impact sockets.

Besides some rare fasteners with a 12-point head then, the main reason for 12-point, whether socket or wrench is ease of getting to the fastener? I can't remember a particular fastener on either of my bikes that I HAD to have a 12-point socket/wrench to get off.

Hmm, that makes me think of another thread! :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cicone

Post by cicone »

BJH wrote:I have a left handed metric phillips head if you need to borrow it. :wink:
Thanks BJH--Trying to service my KIPS, but the guys at the hardware store gave me a strange look when I asked if they had a reverse thread wrench? Will the left handed metric phillips work instead? The onliest thing I knows about tools is righty tighty and lefty loosy....or is it the other way around? Hey Skipro--- :butthead: ---gotcha! ;-)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

cicone wrote:The onliest thing I knows about tools is righty tighty and lefty loosy....or is it the other way around? Hey Skipro--- :butthead: ---gotcha! ;-)
It's the other way around when you talkin' bout KIPS son! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

cicone wrote: Hey Skipro--- :butthead: ---gotcha! ;-)
With my pants down!!!
Jerry