dB Snorkel...worthwhile on KDX without stock pipe?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

dB Snorkel...worthwhile on KDX without stock pipe?

Post by wanaride »

Hello all! I recently moved into a new development and I'm already getting hassled by one neighbor about my dirtbike. I don't think he has much legal ground to fight me, but I would like to be as quiet as possible to avoid pissing anyone else off.

I ran across this dB Snorkel on the "other site" and it looks like it might be useful. It might not do anything for a stock pipe/SA, but since I don't have the stock parts anymore (Gnarly woods pipe + TCII SA), I'm hoping it can quiet my bike somewhat.

Has anyone tried this on their KDX? Besides repacking the silencer, do any of you have ideas about how to quiet the bike (besides shutting it off)?

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You could pick up a stock exhaust pretty cheap. That DB snokel looks pretty cool though. However, the pipe itself will be loud compared to the stock unit. The stock exhaust may weigh more than the aftermarket, but it's very stealthy.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The ultimate combo would be the stock pipe and the DB Snorkel.

Since the pipe is dbl walled, it is definately the determining factor in the KDX's rep in being quiet. The stock silencer has little or no effect on quieting down the KDX compared to the TCII. I tried them one right after an other and no noticable difference.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What's a dB snorkle?

Post by Mark W »

Anyone have a link to a picture and some info.

Thanks -
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If he is an Arsehole, it will not make a difference
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

dBSnorkel should work with your TC2. I don't know if they (dB snorkel) have a kit that would mate up with the stock silencer: Likely will even look better on the TC2 than the stock unit also since the TC2 is slimer and the snorkel runs along the bottom side of it and should end up being partially covered by the side number plate.

While I don't own a dB snorkel I seen them on several bikes with both TC2 and TCQ silencers being promoted during the annual Idaho State trail ride. They are not considered 'Bling' by many riders, but it is amazing how well they work IMO. There is a lot to be said about being in a stealth when on the trails or around people in the backcountry. :mrgreen:
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 09:15 am Apr 02 2006, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I think Green Hornet is right about this guy, but I would like to avoid pissing off any other neighbors. (This "neighbor" would complain about anything.)

I've ordered the dB Snorkel and Lord willing I'll post a ride report after I mount it up. In the meantime, does anyone out there have a stock exhaust pipe they would sell? I threw mine away when I got the Gnarly because "why will I ever need this again"?

More questions:
1) If I can't get a stock pipe, would my metal pipe guard make things better or worse? Would a carbon-fiber guard help reduce noise more?
2) Has anyone painted that spray-on bedliner stuff on their pipe? I like the chrome pipe for bling factor, but at this point I'm just trying to ride ON MY OWN LAND without having to hire a lawyer.
3) I saw some info on KTMTalk about taping up a pipe, but I didn't see enough details there. Anyone familiar with that? What kind of tape?
4) Are there any doublewalled performance pipes out there?

Thanks for your help! :supz:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I kept my stocker for just such situations. You should be able to pick one up cheap off of eBay. I've seen them go for $9 plus shipping... your milage may vary.

1. Yes... better. Cuts down on the ringa-ding-ding that people hear. But it is not even close to a stock dual-wall pipe.

2. Stay away from the bedliner stuff. Baked on dirt will be extremely tough to get off of it.

3. That would be header tape. It is basically insulating tape and is not meant to be looked at if you know what I mean. I have no idea if it would cut down on noise or not. It is made to raise the exhaust temps for better performance on a car.

4. Not that I am aware of unfortunately.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

layoutd

Post by layoutd »

'having wrapped my gnarly in 1/4" of fiberglass, it does not have much sound to it.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"It is made to raise the exhaust temps for better performance on a car"
The idea of the Header tape is to keep the exhaust gases hot after exting the ports of the engine. The hotter gas escapes faster, therefore increasing performance. I suppose it could/should work on a bike figuring the properties of exhaust gas escaping are somewhat the same.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr