Protection for the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
eram310

Protection for the KDX

Post by eram310 »

Hi,
I am planning on getting a used KDX 200 that’s complete stock. I am an experienced road rider but relatively a newbie to the dirt. My friend, who lives in a different climate and country, has been trying to get me into the dirt for years. He recommends I look at the KDX, if it wasn’t for him, I would have probably bought a 4 stroke.
Anyway, he says don’t worry about suspension or making changes to the pipe or carb. At first, just ride it. The only thing he recommends is getting a skid plate and a pipe front guard. If I become more aggressive, radiator guards, better hand guards, and side covers. My question, what is your recommendation for brands for these guards.

Thanks,
Allon
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Utah Sports makes a good inexpensive skid plate and all of the TUSK line of products from http://www.rockymountainmc.com are well built and priced right. A maier formable pipe guard is tough and priced right too.

Good luck and welcome to the site.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think you might want to put the handguards on first. you're gonna fall, and breaking the controls can stop your ride, and breaking your hand can stop your season. The stock hand guards are really a publicity stunt. The skid plate is a good idea too and should be around $60.00. I have the Utah one and it's very strong.

I also recommend you armor yourself. My buds and I learn slow. We all got back into riding after long layoffs. We're old and thought it would be like back in the '70's; T-shirt, boots, jeans and a helmet. Well the bikes are taller, the bones are weaker, reactions slower, and the bikes handle so much better that by the time you fall off, you're going pretty dang fast sometimes. Not a good combo. Mondays we'd be shopping for a pad to cover the last spot we hurt. Do yourself a favor and get your Power Ranger suit first. Then as you're sliding down a rocky hill on your back, you can hear all the scraping popping noises on your back plate and smile cause you saved another co-pay :supz: .

Welcome!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
crazybrit

Re: Protection for the KDX

Post by crazybrit »

Hey Allon. I'm in the same boat as you, 20 year street rider, very little dirt experience. Just got my first dirt bike. Friend recommended I look at a KTM200EXC and the people on the KTM forum said to look at a KDX :) I got a KDX220 which was stock except for a bash plate.

Ordered rad guards, hand guards and a rear disc guard. They were on back order. Went on a ride w/out them and managed to crash :( Dented the left rad nicely (worst case impact for the rad, sigh). Broke the clutch perch clean off and bent the lever. Was able to jerry rig the clutch enough to get started and then shifted clutchless to limp back but it was the end of the ride. It's only $20 for a new perch/lever but if I'd had the Cycras mounted, would have been able to keep riding.

I'm not sure on the pipe guard. My KTM friend said to get one but when I mentioned that the stock pipe is double walled he said to wait till I put on a single wall a/m replacement. Not sure what the smart thing is here. The Maier does indeed look well priced (unlike all the other stamped aluminum Devol/WC stuff which is a rip IMHO).

Buy the best protective gear you can for yourself. I've injured myself lately off bike and it takes nothing to rack up $500 worth of medical bills even if you have good insurance.

Tony
eram310

Post by eram310 »

Thanks for the advice; I guess I have some shopping to do.
I appreciate the comment about riding gear, I am a big advocate of using PPG either on the street or in the dirt.