Anyone ever swapped conventional t/c Showa forks on a KDX ?

Got questions? We got answers....
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Anyone ever swapped conventional t/c Showa forks on a KDX ?

Post by BJH »

I have a set of 98' conventional twin chamber Showa forks with triple clamps and the axle. I'm very seriously considering putting them on my KDX if I can find the front brake assembly and a wheel. ON EBAY!!! or by other means.
Has anyone ever pulled this off or will I be the guinea pig? If you have done please give me any advice you can.
________
Vapir No2
Last edited by BJH on 08:06 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Well i don't know if this helps or not , but i put a 91 KX 125 fork (inverted) on my 91 KDX 200 . Was pretty straight forward. I'm not sure but i think if you can get the triple to mount in your frame the rest should not really be a problem. I know there are some guys here who have had more experience than i as my swap was super easy. And i love the difference it has made in the handling of my bike.
91 KDX200
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

Well it's official now. I have almost all of the parts. I'm in too deep to give up now. Got my sights on a front wheel on EBAY!!! and it looks like I will be the guy.
From reading the specifications it seems that both bikes have 11.4" of wheel travel. That kind of suprised me in a pleasant way. Initial measurents seem to point out that this won't be super difficult to do. It looks like the rake and trail dimensions are going to work out ok. The steering stem situation may be a little tricky.
The only things I'm missing now are a headlight, master cylinder, and fender. Anyone have comments on a good headlight replacement? I like the looks of those twin beam jobs. Makes sense that it would give better results than the stock single bulb unit.
I hate giving up my odometer. Maybe I can score some RMX parts later.

Got:
forks and triple clamps, wheel bearings and seals, wheel spacers, entire brake caliper assembly,
Trying to useKDX parts:
KDX master cylinder and brake line, Brake lever and perch,
Need:
Front wheel and rotor (Ebaying) Front fender, headlight.
________
Ford Pilot Picture
Last edited by BJH on 08:08 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds like your well on the way to making this swap a reality. Keep us posted on how it goes. Take a lot of pictures for the gallery.

As far as the odometer goes ditch it and get a trailtech bike computer. It has a sensor that mounts on the brake caliper and then you replace one of the bolts in the disc brake with a new one that has a magnet imbedded in the head of the bolt. Works like a charm.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E