Proper fuel mixture ratio?

Got questions? We got answers....
tonost

Proper fuel mixture ratio?

Post by tonost »

Hello I'm new to KDXRIDER.NET and I have a few questions. I have a friend who decided after hearing my tales of riding in the desert on my bike that he wanted to start riding, so we found a 1989 KDX200 for a good price and we picked it up today. I have been riding for as long as I can remember but I have never owned a 2 stroke, my current bike being a CRF450. I have read an owners manual that stated the ratio is 32:1 but while online I have seen varying recommended ratios. Are these personal preferences that people feel their bikes run well or are their different ratios for different bikes? Also if you have any special tricks or advice for this bike it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well obviously when you change the ratio you must change the jetting which im sure you already know, but people like 40:1 because it is one container of 2 stroke oil to every 5 gallons of gas.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Most run 40:1 because it is fairly safe and easy to mix. Pick a ratio and stick to it is the main thing. Then jet the bike to the determined ratio.

There are alot of tricks for the KDX and they are all over the site. One is to let that bike breath.... If it still has the airbox lid and snorkel on it, first eliminate the snorkel.... but most lose the snorkel and drill 1/2 holes in the lid to boot.

Another is putting a good pipe on it. FMF and PC both make good pipes for the KDX... that will wake it up too. But probably the most important thing you can do for the KDX is getting the suspension set up for your friend. Give us his weight and we should be able to come up with a good rate of front springs for him. 95 and up KDX springs usually work well in the older KDX's and I'm sure there are several members on this site that would send them to you for just the shipping costs.

And Welcome to the Site..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome to the site! Inda layed it out pretty well. Most of the info that you find for the 95+ KDX will also apply to the 89-94 KDX's. Sit down and spend sometime reading thru the archived threads and you'll get a good idea on what the KDX can really do.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Ryan wrote:well obviously when you change the ratio you must change the jetting which im sure you already know, but people like 40:1 because it is one container of 2 stroke oil to every 5 gallons of gas.
Yes, But also, since there is less oil, your KIPS will appreciate the possible sludge buildup (less) over time do to less oil. Also, Pre-Mix Brand is a factor too, but it up to you.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya, ive heard yamahalube 2R is great oil because it does not cause alot of build up and it burns really clean
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
tonost

Post by tonost »

Thanks for the speedy reply, as far as the fork setup it will have to wait because my buddy found out a few weeks ago that he is a type 2 diabetic and he must go on a diet and lose some weight, his current weight is about 230 and I told him right from the start that we had to do something about the suspension. When he does finally get down to his fighting weight I will ask for some setup advice, thanks again.