Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

"Took it apart and put it back together"

AND changed the oil! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

yeah, that's true. My dad and i believe there was just a little piece of dirt in there, jamming it up.

Is it verry hard to get to the power vaulve? The previous owners were running the gas a little ritch and some black gunk is slightly coming out of the tail pipe, and we are gonna' check the power vaulve to make sure it is not stuck. we will be getting the owners manual on it in two weeks, but i'm just wondering if you have to take the bike appart verry mutch to get to it.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you have an aftermarket silencer on the bike your muffler might be soaked with spooge. I'd repack it with some fresh muffler packing. You might also take off your exhaust pipe and see if there is a lot of carbon buildup in it. If there is a propane torch and wire brush will make short work on it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Power Valve

Post by Mark W »

At the very minimum you need to take the head off to get at the power valves (and all that is involved to get the head off as well). You may be able to remove/clean/inspect/install the KIPs without taking the cylinder off but without having my bike here in front of me can't be certain. I do know that taking the cylinder off sure makes the job not hard at all. Getting the cylinder back on took some finaglin' and all and making sure the KIPS was reassembled the proper way required the asking of more than one question.

Others may chime in here on the removal of the whole cylinder question.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think you can tell if the KIPS is working without a tear-down. Take the round access cover (has a slot cut in it) off the left side of the engine. Rev the bike, and as it hits around 6K, the nut inside should rotate. as revs fall, it rotates back. If that works, it tells you all the stuff from the clutch case up to that point is working, but not that the valves are actually moving. To do that, you can take the pipe off and shine a bright light up in the exhaust port and make sure all 3 valves are moving as they should when you rotate that same nut. Uh, the motor is not running for this second part. :roll:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Uh, the motor is not running for this second part. :roll:
Kill Joy!! Ha!! A face full of raw exhaust when attempting to see if the power valve works under actual operation. I'd give a dollar to see that !!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I know. See, I still have a 14 year old. He makes me very afraid sometimes. :shock:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220