KDX200 E1 1989 water pump leak

Got questions? We got answers....
stewforsyth

KDX200 E1 1989 water pump leak

Post by stewforsyth »

Hi there, I know this has been covered before however I am going to ask the question again. I know that this model did not have the mechanical seal but originally came with 2 thin seals. The new kit that I ordered included a thin seal and a thick seal (with a spring inside). I have replaced the bearing and installed the thick seal first, then the thin one on top of it (curved bit facing in), meeting the bottom of the impeller. The thin seal now slightly protrudes from the metal surface and when I insert the metal brass washed before installing the impeller, it is quite stiff. Question is was i correct in including both the thick and thin seals in the first place ?

I am also left with a '1cm long metal collar' which will not fit back onto the impeller shaft, where i think it originally came off from. By using the thick seal did this remove the need for the collar used with the thinner seals ?

Thanks in advance
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX200 E1 1989 water pump leak

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX200 E1 1989 water pump leak

Post by SS109 »

I don't remember any collar used with the two seal setup and the parts fiche doesn't show one either. Take a look at the parts fiche for how everything goes together. Make sure you get the thick seal fully seated before installing the thinner one.

Parts fiche: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw ... gine-cover
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R