The new DeltaForceIII

Got questions? We got answers....
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Delta Force Reed users,

I have a question about the reed cage it self, it is my understanding that they are made from a type of plastic. Is this true?

I was just wondering how the plastic cages hold up as far as wear goes. I know that all reed pedals are subject to wear and need to be replaced once an awhile.

Have any of you long time users of the DF reed looked at the plastic cage and checked for wear? And how is it standing up?

Ron
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Ron, I just got off the phone with Mototassinari and they said this plastic composite won't wear. There was a change made early on in the DFIII to beef up and correct a breakage problem. I would bet none of us will ever see a worn out housing. There is only one thing better than your carb mod, this reed and the FMF -30, but Inda has limits on what he'll allow on this site. Now send that AS, I need to fondle it! I Need Bling!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Listen to this Gents

I orderd a DF III cage direct from MT over Christmas. Arrived in a few days, no problem, but the most important FREE T Shirt was back ordered at that time. I was OK with that since the cage arrived safe and sound.

Anyhow, last week, the T Shirt arrives in the mail. I'm impressed since I don't exactly live around the corner from these folks.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hi Ron,
I've run the DFIII for a few hundred miles now and just inspected mine. The cage is in like new condition with out any sign of wear. The reeds are also in good shape with only minor wear. I expect I'll get at least 700 miles out of them.

The DFII cage was a nylon composite from what I would estimate. It also held up well. The reeds themselves were a bit tatered after only 3 or 4 hundred miles or so. Mainly the lowest reed in the cage and then on the outside edge.

Hope this helps someway.

P.S. bradf is wrong. The carb mod on the Air Stryker carb is the best motor mod, IMO. The air screw should be included in every carb you send out because those who think they don't need one, really don't know what your mod is fully cabable of. If they did, they would be ordering it as soon as they could!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

skipro3,

Thank you for the info on the reeds :wink: Also thank you for the kind words :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Oh, one more thing, Ron; You set up my KDX220 head and included the fact I run race gas and ride at altitude. It works great. Yesterday I rode high desert in Nevada, 5000 feet and had to borrow premix since I didn't bring any extra. It was just premium and I expected it to ping. It didn't. Seemed to run just fine. I figure that I had a mix of 25% race gas (C-12) and 75% premium. I rode this for about 40 miles from slow techincal trails to very high speed (60+ mph) and included some very long and steep hill climbs.

I'm going to start running a blend in an attempt to find out how this affects my jetting and when it might ping with pump gas. I'll cut the race gas and keep an eye out for any lean conditions and let you know what happens. This may save me some cash as the C-12 isn't cheap and the information may aid you with further developement in your quest to help KDX owners find the full potential in their bikes.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I agree with Ski, you oughtta put the knurled AS in all the carbs. Maybe there could be a sticky thread here that you could point them to that would direct them in how to find the SSS. Once I found it I saw that due to conditions it would need to be tweaked a 1/16 here and there. The AS is so handy.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. The finger-tweakable AS is a good thing. I don't agree that it should 'come with' though. It's listed as an option on the RB-Designs website...anyone that has done even rudimentary research into the matter would know that it's a good option. Mostly, if the AS is added, the price goes up.

I've read more'n once the argument, 'FRP doesn't charge that much for his carb mod!' Granted, this is a boneheaded thing to say and obviously comes from someone that has no clue as to what they are talking about. Still..Mr. Black is a businessman. Including more and more in a 'package' (with subsequent price increases) will likely result in fewer riders buying that 'package'. That's not good for business, 'eh?

:shock: 700 miles out of set of reeds? Oh my!! If that's true, MT is going to be getting a gripe from me! I don't plan on replacing reeds every six weeks!!!

IMO and all that...........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

700 miles would be good comared to the DFII reeds I gave away to someone, can't remember who. I only got about 7 rides out of those. (50 miles is a good day in my area.) I hope to get a couple years worth of riding with mine but not betting on it with the DFII track record I've experianced.

****EDIT****

Maybe instead of miles, I should state the wear and reed life expectancy in hours? That way a rider will have a better idea how often they might need to service the reed system.

****END EDIT****

Yea, I know I'm not a businessman and all that. Heck, I didn't want Ron to provide the screw for free, but it really is such a great tool, I just can't see anyone who is going to go with this carb mod doing without it.

I've been seeing the same boneheaded arguement you reported out there too. (FRP vs RBD) Kinda makes me ashamed to be associated with the KDX crowd when that kind of ignorance is displayed considering all the information available out there on the subject. Too bad. My carb setup has been the best value in bolt on upgrades I've done to date on the motor and it just keeps improving with the way Mr. Black makes himself available for questions and such.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jeff is a legendary rider... but doesn't make him an engineer or machinist. I would go with RBD over FRP for the simple fact that this is what Ron does.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Don't misunderstand, Jeff's product, as far as I can tell, is just what it claims to be. It's just not comaring apples to apples when matching it up to Ron's modded efforts.

As far as value, well, be an informed shopper before spending your money is a good philosophy.
Jerry