Kdx lighting coil into a kx

Got questions? We got answers....
Chrisfromlakeside

Kdx lighting coil into a kx

Post by Chrisfromlakeside »

Hi guys, I have a 95 kx250 and was wondering if I can use a 94 kdx250 stator, clutch, flywheel and wiring/cdi. Everything looks to physically fit with the kdx cover, but the kx wiring has 6 wires coming from the ignighters while the kdx stator only has 4. Am I gonna be able to get enough spark and timing adjustment to run it? i already have most of the parts to do this with the exception of the clutch pack, I just don't wanna go down this path any further if it's not gonna work in the end. Thank you.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kdx lighting coil into a kx

Post by bufftester »

If you use the entire KDX wiring/CDI/flywheel/stator it could be made to run, though the performance may suffer a little. Not sure about the clutch, but if it fits probably. Might just be easier to mount the KDX lighting coil to the KX stator plate?
Chrisfromlakeside

Post by Chrisfromlakeside »

The kx flywheel is much smaller in diameter and thinner, it also has a small coil outside of it, I think it's called an "exciter" coil. The kdx coils are much larger and all fit inside the flywheel, but no exciter coil. I'm ok with the heavier flywheel, its fast enough for me already. what im worried about is the fact that the kx has extra wires from the stator to the cdi box, which is much larger than the kdx box, I wonder if I'm gonna loose something that is needed to run the motor if I swap everything over.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Doesn't matter how many wires if you use the KDX stator, wiring harness, and CDI. The extra 2 wires in the KX are for the exciter pickup to the KX CDI.