Transmission, engine performance, suspension and brakes

Got questions? We got answers....
Kirgan

Re: Transmission, engine performance, suspension and brakes

Post by Kirgan »

Ya a front end swap would seem a little bit more ideal I think...hopefully bolt and go... I'm 6'3 and about 300lbs so definitely needs to be beefy and I'm (Well used to be) a mountain goat on bikes. Between trials, hill climbs and hard landings (hopefully on the tires!) The bikes I grew up on had a bit of trouble keeping up with me and more modern motocross suspension say late 90's and newer really feel a lot better. Was hoping to find a brand new modern shock that would bolt in. I have heard that race tech can rebuild vintage suspension to be modern? As for pipes I've already called dg and fmf and neither one make a pipe for my application. Is there anyone that custom builds head pipes for a reasonable price? As for the brakes I really want to bring them to the modern age and really need/want the performance of disc. Fabrication is one of my strong points but for time and money was wondering if maybe an 86 kx swing arm would fit? Maybe would be less hassle and cheaper to weld a bracket on my swingarm and go from there? It's looking like this is going to be wind up being a winter project so I've got a little time to plan and start setting aside some parts.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The stock shock is not going to be as good as a modern shock.

If you want a pipe made, it won't be cheap. Look for some of the vintage pipe makers for MX bikes. Again, if they can make you one, it won't be cheap.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kirgan

Post by Kirgan »

Also any recommendations on reeds? Or anything I can do to "wake up" the engine a bit? Improve throttle response? New seals and intake boot will help but it doesn't seem to come alive unless I keep it in the upper rpm range. Even then it still seems to be holding back. Carburetor and jetting is stock and clean as a whistle. Also any suggestions on a good racing clutch?
Kirgan

Post by Kirgan »

Not trying to be overwhelming with questions lol
Hours of scouring the web to no avail leaves questions and frustration (we've all been there!) Thank you for your time and knowledge. I will be glad to share anything I learn on this journey. Hopefully the first of many!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look into Boyesen brand on reeds.

How old are the rings? Old rings can decrease performance.

No need to fool with jetting much unless everything else is in order.

No probelm on the questions. :grin:

Look on eBay to see what price you can find plates and springs for. Since it is 35 years old, the options may be limited.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »