KDX250SR - Sneaky Sump Hole...

Got questions? We got answers....
Jurism

Post by Jurism »

Found this little guy while cleaning up my engine today, I think it's pretty obvious that it's not meant to be there but the fact that it's a perfectly round hole make me wonder whether it might be intentional? I've been pondering for a while now trying to figure out what purpose this hole could possibly have but apart from someone trying to sabotage this bike in the past (which I find unlikely) I'm clueless, I'm probably just going to bung it up and hope that this bike wasn't ran dry at some point. Time will tell but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway and get some different ideas. Cheers guys.

EDIT:

After some investigating I found a hole under the magneto cover which lines up perfectly with the hole on the bottom of the sump, after some testing with some oil down the hole under the magneto cover my assumption of it being a drainage hole was correct, the oil that I dropped down the hole leads straight out the hole on the sump, never seen a design like this before, I guess it's a "magneto oil drain hole" of sorts. I'm just thankful the bike doesn't have any damage as bad as a hole in the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers!

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX250SR - Sneaky Sump Hole...

Post by Julien D »

This is on the KDX250? Interesting. I guess that makes sense. As long as trans oil doesn't leak out then you must be correct.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You're up early. :razz:

KDX250SR I am guessing that is a counter balancer in the picture? KTM just invented that a coupe of years ago. :boogie: :busted: :razz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Another of the SR oddities I've seen lately. Since we never got that model in the states it's always fun learning more about them. Had no idea Kawi had a counterbalanced KDX motor!
Jurism

Post by Jurism »

Thanks for the reply's guys, I'm having just as much fun working on the bike, never owned one before so I'm in the same boat with learning everything about them, very cool counterbalance design as well as that oil drain hole I discovered, glad I didn't end up bunging it without investigating it prior. For those of you who haven't already seen my other post regarding this SR model, I'm doing I guess you could say a "half arsed restore" but not quite type deal here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 34&t=22945

My goal with this build is to simply get it on the road with not much cost involved but at the same time I want to be proud about riding it, so I can't have it looking all sad and sloppy, I'll replace what needs to be replaced, restore what can be saved and do all the mods the KDX needs to unleash the power within! I'll be posting new pictures to my post soon and updating my progress but in the meantime I've been waiting on a lot of parts to reach me so apart from cleaning the frame and engine up, there isn't a whole lot to document so I'm saving it for when I get all the parts in. Stay tuned! :)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, yes. That thread. Thanks again for all the pictures. Just like bufftester said, it is fun to learn about the KDX models we have never seen.

I think you have shown more pictures on SR KDX parts than I can currently remember from any thread. Some of your pictures can only be answered with "I have never seen that before" by around 9 out of 10 of us on this site.

Thanks again for the pictures. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dan 250sr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Dan 250sr »

I'm going to check mine 🤔
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Interesting about the oil drain hole in the cases ... If oil can drain out freely then surely water can also enter ...? I would be weary about deep water crossings ! ......perhaps it maybe a good idea about sealing it up especially living over here in wet old Blighty !