Cyl overbore on 220

Got questions? We got answers....
Artstoy

Cyl overbore on 220

Post by Artstoy »

Ive got a question for the guys here, I purchased a kdx 220 not running only to find out it has had some work done, has a hot rod crank, and a sleeved motor with what looks to be a weisco piston in a sleeved cyl, and appears to be a 72 mm bore. Weisco only list a 70mm but its definitly a weisco overbore piston. Anyone know of any big bore companies building a 72 mm big bore kit for the 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Cyl overbore on 220

Post by KDXGarage »

Does it have a power valve??

Isn't 72 mm for the roughly 240cc??

Wasn't Eric Gorr's "225" a 223 cc? :hmm:

OK, I found some online calculator. WHEW!! 70 mm piston x 58 mm stroke is 223 cc. 72 mm is 236 cc.

Do you think maybe Wiseco used to sell such a piston to the public, or do you think some overbore company had some custom pistons made up to include with their service?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Artstoy

Cyl overbore on 220

Post by Artstoy »

cyl is good, just need the piston availability, Probably just set it up, and sell it. but want to know piston is available and where to get it.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I wonder if it's possible to wire wheel or soak the top of the piston in oven cleaner and be able to see the part number that's on top.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I would not use oven cleaner, or any high pH (caustic, lye or similar) product on aluminum. Very corrosive.

Any mechanical or mild abrasive cleaning should reveal any markings.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cyl overbore on 220

Post by Molly's 70 »

Acetone is an excellent cleaner for aluminum, it should also break down burnt on hydrocarbons.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
tropicoz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tropicoz »

Get some Seafoam and pour some in a bowl, then put your piston in it (upside down of course). All you need is enough to cover the top of the piston. It'll dissolve and cleanup all the carbon on top.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

...or just do like a few eBay sellers I have seen and blast it with the sandblaster, cleans right up! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Molly's 70, (and anyone else) have you ever tried acetone with a spark plug? I have a ton of high-dollar fancy-like plugs that I would like to clean. Thanks. :bravo:
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cyl overbore on 220

Post by Molly's 70 »

I am not a plug expert, but I have never had luck trying to clean a fouled 2 stroke plug. They just foul out again 10 times faster. I have learned I prefer a brand new plug from time to time.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

These aren't fouled, just a bit carboned up. They are $12 each, roughly, so I saved them in hopes of cleaning. I just put a new plug in every few races. I didn't have time for testing, no where to ride without loading up the bike.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cyl overbore on 220

Post by pumpguy »

Back in the day, every corner service station did car repairs and had a little plug cleaner on one corner of the workbench. It was SOP to take a handful of used plugs and have them blast cleaned and tested under pressure.

These days, plugs in cars last a good long time, so this is now a thing of the past. Still, when I had access to a bead blaster, every so often I would take a few old plugs to work and clean them up. They seemed to work okay after cleaning.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I know what you mean. I watched a video on Youtube of a guy rebuilding one. I don't think they would be Iridium tip friendly, though. I have the Harbor Freight spark plug cleaner, but I have never tried it on even a B8ES plug. Yet another project. :roll: