New clutch recomendations

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I think it's getting to be time for a new clutch. I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping when I'm on the pipe. After I climb a hill I can smell it.

I thought I read somewhere OEM klutch packs are all that atr offered anymore. Is that true? If not, any recommendations?

I know my basket is notched a little bit. So I'll need to replace my basket sometime in the future also.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New clutch recomendations

Post by John_S »

What year, what country?

If its an H series you have options. Look on Rocky Mountain, Partzilla, or Ebay. For the frictions, steels, and springs:

OEM is about $165
Tusk is about $60
EBC is about $105
Barnett is about $160
Last edited by John_S on 12:24 pm Sep 07 2018, edited 1 time in total.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If you're in the US keep your eye out on eBay. I picked this up for my 2002 last week. 7 steel, 8 friction, and the 4 springs, OEM new in the packages.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (836.49 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Sorry. I was going to include that. It's a 2003 KDX 220.

Has anyone used stiffer springs than OEM? I can be an aggressive rider. (Not always though) But I want to make sure the bike is tough enough to take what I give it (without being down-right abusive).
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I installed a Barnett billet clutch basket with Barnett clutch plates & heavy duty springs on my 220 after I had the motor worked on as my OE clutch just couldn't cope when on the pipe !...there was a little bit of weight saving too with the new set up but also there is now a very very slight drag on the clutch when in gear but no slip whatsoever when you have the throttle pinned ! ..... Recommend Barnett :supz:
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Awesome! Could you feel a difference in your clutch lever?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I installed a Barnett billet clutch basket with Barnett clutch plates & heavy duty springs on my 220 after I had the motor worked on as my OE clutch just couldn't cope when on the pipe !...there was a little bit of weight saving too with the new set up but also there is now a very very slight drag on the clutch when in gear but no slip whatsoever when you have the throttle pinned ! ..... Recommend Barnett :supz:
Where did you get the Barnett basket? I bought a ProX basket last week. I thought only them and Wiseco made them for our bikes.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Yeah. I just checked Barnett's website and they don't list a basket for the KDX. Only plates and spings.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Sorry my mistake....

It's a Wiseco billet basket & Barnett HD clutch plates & spring kit ...the meat on the plates are slightly thicker than stock OE ones .

With regards to the clutch pull , I have a Magura hydraulic clutch conversion installed so the pull is featherlight anyway .
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

If you're shopping for Pro-X baskets, the newest model has a 'F' suffix to the part number. That's 'F' for forged and it comes with the rubber dampers. Be aware that there is an unscrupulous seller on ebay that lists the new forged part number but is selling the older, non-forged model.
Last edited by ericr on 12:59 am Sep 09 2018, edited 2 times in total.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Having those rubber pieces included is nice. They do wear out and allow excessive movement between the basket and gear.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

ericr wrote:If you're shopping for Pro-X baskets, the newest model has a 'F' suffix to the part number. That's 'F' for forged and it comes with the rubber dampers. Be aware that there is an unscrupulous seller on ebay that lists the new forged part number but is selling the older, non-forged model.
I got a ProX 17.4286F clutch basket on eBay last week. I was thinking I bought it from this guy becuase it didn't come with dampers. I thought I was going to get them because the generic photo shows them. I paid $174. I checked my basket just now and it is stamped with the F part number and that's the main thing. After seeing I can get the 6 ProX dampers on RMATV I guess I'll keep it and go that route since it's still less than $221 from other sellers on eBay. Especially if I paid to send this one back.

A couple of weird things on RMATV....if you look up aftermarket "parts for my machine" and choose a 220, no dampers are listed. If you choose 200, there they are. The other thing is that they list the set for $50 but if you buy the 6 individual at $6.50 it'll cost you $39. They list a Tusk engine oil seal set for the 200 that isn't listed for the 220 and oil seals are the same on both bikes. There are a couple other things that don't involve displacement that are listed for the 200 and not the 220.

Thankfully that doesn't make me feel vulnerable and discriminated against.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

John_S wrote:
ericr wrote:If you're shopping for Pro-X baskets, the newest model has a 'F' suffix to the part number. That's 'F' for forged and it comes with the rubber dampers. Be aware that there is an unscrupulous seller on ebay that lists the new forged part number but is selling the older, non-forged model.
I got a ProX 17.4286F clutch basket on eBay last week. I was thinking I bought it from this guy becuase it didn't come with dampers. I thought I was going to get them because the generic photo shows them. I paid $174. I checked my basket just now and it is stamped with the F part number and that's the main thing. After seeing I can get the 6 ProX dampers on RMATV I guess I'll keep it and go that route since it's still less than $221 from other sellers on eBay. Especially if I paid to send this one back.

A couple of weird things on RMATV....if you look up aftermarket "parts for my machine" and choose a 220, no dampers are listed. If you choose 200, there they are. The other thing is that they list the set for $50 but if you buy the 6 individual at $6.50 it'll cost you $39. They list a Tusk engine oil seal set for the 200 that isn't listed for the 220 and oil seals are the same on both bikes. There are a couple other things that don't involve displacement that are listed for the 200 and not the 220.

Thankfully that doesn't make me feel vulnerable and discriminated against.
WOW! THANKS! That is incredibly good to know! I was just looking at that $50 kit as was getting on there to ask y'all experience with it.

Now when I look up parts, I'll include the 200 in my searches instead of just my 220.

Are the rubber dampers considered a "cush drive"?
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Also, so I gather there are 3 types of baskets. Billet, Forged, and Non-forged. Is Billet top dog over forged?
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

If you can smell it then it isn't likely your clutch, more like your packing in your exhaust burning. I get the same thing after a long climb.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

morganid wrote:Also, so I gather there are 3 types of baskets. Billet, Forged, and Non-forged. Is Billet top dog over forged?
I think all the baskets on the market are either billet or forged. Another option would be cast aluminum, which would be much weaker.

Billet aluminum is rolled-formed into large bars which are then cut and machined to final shape. The rolling improves the grain structure of the aluminum over casting.

Forged aluminum compresses the aluminum stock into a rough shape of the basket ready for final machining. The compression further aligns the grain structure to the shape of the final product and much improves the overall strength.

Forged is stronger than billet.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wiseco:

http://www.wiseco.com/Powersports/ClutchComponents.aspx

ProX:

http://www.pro-x.com/product-line-categ ... tch-parts/

I don't see any baskets from Hinson or Barnett on their websites.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
keithh2oskier

Post by keithh2oskier »

Hi,

Browsing for another KDX. I am looking at both the E and the H series. Prefer the H but if the price is right I will get another E. One thing I am having trouble finding is some of the parts for the E series, specifically a clutch. Any way to know if I could use the plates and steels from an H series on an E? Just not sure how interchangeable those are?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When asking about something new, please start a new topic.

Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128