What Tools Saved, (or Would Have Saved You) On The Trail?

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

My 03 KDX 220 didn't come with a tool bag mounted on the fender. So today, I was browsing the internet looking at fender mount toolkits. I want to mount a kit of some sort, but I think the size or type of bag/box I mount will be determined by the tools I carry.

SO... What problems have you had on the trial that has crippled your bike (or you)?
What tools got you out (or would have got you out) of the situation?

I'll go first.

Problem: Broken chain
Tool: a master link and chain breaker would have solved it, but we were riding on salt flats so my dad just drove the truck and trailer to me.

Problem: Knocked a hole in the clutch cover (on a KX500). Leaking transmission fluid.
Tool: Used a tube of liquid gasket to plug the hole, carefully rode the bike back to the main road.

I've also towed or been towed several times for various reasons. A strap and/or rope will be in my kit for sure.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I keep a spark plug wrench & a couple extra plugs for myself or a friend.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
ubareddition
Supporting Member

Re: What Tools Saved, (or Would Have Saved You) On The Trail

Post by ubareddition »

A small container of 2 stroke oil. Zipties. Vise grips.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

Baling wire - used to fix my grandson's front brake lever when the bolt disappeared on a mountain ride.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I emptied out a bicycle tool kit and carry it in my backpack. I’ve got a plug and plug wrench,master link,small vice grips,8 and 10 mm sockets with a t handle,leatherman type tool,zip ties,duck tape wrapped around a cotter pin and a pair of nitrate gloves so my hands don’t get greasy if I’m doing trail side repairs in it. I also carry a short length of tow rope in my back pack and a roll of trail marking tape.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

jjavaman wrote:I emptied out a bicycle tool kit and carry it in my backpack. I’ve got a plug and plug wrench,master link,small vice grips,8 and 10 mm sockets with a t handle,leatherman type tool,zip ties,duck tape wrapped around a cotter pin and a pair of nitrate gloves so my hands don’t get greasy if I’m doing trail side repairs in it. I also carry a short length of tow rope in my back pack and a roll of trail marking tape.
Mine is nearly the same with the following differences. Zip ties I have some of the biggest, heaviest ones I could find and some about a foot long. couple of BR8 plugs and a couple CR8s (for the 4T riders on the trail). I carry a couple 520 master links and a couple 428 size. and an altoids tin full of misc 6-8-10-12 mm bolts and screws and cotter pins.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Zip ties, duck tape, spark plug spanner & spare spark plug , float bowl spanner ( for deep water !! ) cross head & flat head screwdriver , Allen keys ,

Regarding chain spilt link , I have only run a rivet link as they are more reliable than a split ...I do carry a spare link In case a fellow rider needs one .
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

spark plug wrench and spare plug always seems to be the number one used solution for me

Apparently, dumping it in a creek was not good for it. Who knew?! :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Burtono

Post by Burtono »

Sockets have been most valuable for me. weather my throttle tube or handlebars get rotated in a bad crash its alot easier losen and put them back then trying to twist back into place. Also spare nuts and bolts. Also elctrical tape for first aid :P
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Spare throttle and clutch cables.

In past, needed to change one of each while on trail. Failure not due to being frayed, but getting snagged by branches. Maybe better routing might have prevented their getting broken, but spare cables in jacket pocket saved the day.

Compass. In these days of GPS, maybe not as useful as in the past. Still, bulletproof reliable and could be helpful.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I use a tool pack (Fanny pack style). Within that you will find; crescent wrench, small & cheap t-handle/screw driver with 6, 8, 10 & 12mm bits and a #2 Phillips bit, spark plug wrench, spark plugs, tire iron, cheap multi tool, zip ties and a few 6mm (8mm head) bolts....I think that's it.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Almost forgot about my 6 in 1 screw driver, so it's not I. The picturesImageImageImage

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type