Knocking noise comming from engine..

Got questions? We got answers....
Jared227

Knocking noise comming from engine..

Post by Jared227 »

I finally did some of the easier maintenance since im still a bit new to dirtbiking and all but my kdx 200 (2004) is making a knocking noise it does seem like its from the top end and the bike doesnt run the best yet so what do you think could be the most needed to be done to fix this? To my knowledge the only things that really ever need to be done for top end work is the kips and piston deal.

btw im new here so hi =) answere are appreciated.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Have you had the bike a while? How many hours are on the piston/rings? Are you the original owner? Is the sound worse under load or at idle? If you know it is different or the sound is new, making noises that it didn't make in the past, then there could be problems. One thing to check is for an exhaust gasket leak. Many people pull the pipe but don't replace the squish o-ring gasket and this leads to leaks, which can sound like knocking. It may be time to pull the jug and inspect the cylinder/piston/rings/rod bearing. A simple piston and ring replacement with new gaskets is about $125
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It could be the clutch.... mine makes a knocking sound. You can see the clutch actuating arm move up and down quickly on the casing.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Trying to troubleshoot a problem, if that is what it is, from the diagnosis of only a noise and not running right is going to be tough.

Since you are new to dirt bikes/two-strokes, try and compare your bike's sounds to other KDX's. Find another rider with 2-stroke experiance to take it for a test ride for an evaluation.

Do some searches here to learn how to read a plug, fuel mixes, tranny oil levels and viscosities, etc. I bet it's nothing to worry about but could be quieted up with a little more research.

BTW Welcome to the site!!! (And if you EVER see Ted Kennedy out there, run that bastard over!!!)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ted? He's across the river...in Massatwoshits...not Connecticut.

KDXs are pretty darn noisy anyway. Run a fuel that is to spec...and that means the best (junk) you can get out of your local pump place (premium).

The 'New? Old? Different?' part is useful info!

Inda...you need to change the washers in your linkage..or adjust your clutch!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i had a knocking before i tore my bike apart. It was because of the piston had a ton of carbon deposits on it. This was just my experience though. Is your bike running rich? Trying leaning it up if it is.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Inda...you need to change the washers in your linkage..or adjust your clutch!

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Which washers? My clutch is adjusted.... ain't it? :hmm:

In or out...still makes the noise just less when in....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"Ted? He's across the river...in Massatwoshits...not Connecticut"

Just hold a Bottle of Whiskey in One Hand & a Picture of some Broad in the other. That Fat Bastard will Swim the River, like an Orca on Speed. :lol:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda:

There are washers under the TO that space the actuator lever to the 'correct' angle..that angle being the one that gets you the most radial movement of the actuating rod compared to the available movement of the lever.

But...if yours is going wanna-wanna-wanna (audio is required to make sense of that) as you're looking at it..there's a problem...in addition to not being properly adjusted.

Hey!! Show some respect!! He IS a US Senator.

That's Mr. Fat Bastard to YOU!

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

:lol:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Jared227

Post by Jared227 »

ty for the replies my computer was down for a bit but im back. there was a lot of carbon deposits on piston everything else was clean in the engine. at the moment its taken apart waiting on new gaskets to come in so it can be put back together(the old ones were dried up and broke comming off).

I do use premium from the pump with a 40:1 mix and when i was taking everything off to check for the problems i found the tranny oil was in need of replacement.

As for the clutch it works fine the bike shifts great.

As for how long i have had the bike only about 2 weeks and i have barely ridden it because its not working right. I am the 2nd owner of it.

The piston and rings are in good condition but as bradf said it might be something about the exhaust ill have to check that and get back to you. And yes the exhaust did leak a bit.

I hope that helps with the answeres but the main problem is still it not running good and at lower rpms it comes close to stalling or stalls. Is there anything else i should look for when i go back to work on it again?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..is still it not running good and at lower rpms it comes close to stalling or stalls.'

That's too general a statement to reasonably answer....the same for 'a lot of carbon deposit'. I don't know what 'a lot' is. There is most likely ALways going to be 'some'.

Under what conditions? What throttle positions, actions? What gear? How fast?
What RPM?

If you're referring to an off-idle throttle response issue, your air screw is likely out of adjustment and/or your pilot jet is the wrong size. Maybe your air filter is not correctly oiled (too wet, too much oil OR just plain filthy).

It's almost always true to say, 'Your bike isn't jetted correctly.'

That (mis-jetted) can cause too much carbon and 'not running right' AND noise.

What is your current jetting?

Is your air filter properly cleaned/serviced? What does 'properly' mean to you?

How did you arrive at the current setting of your air screw? Do you know HOW to adjust it properly?

Consider the source