Kdx 220 clutch noise and green oil

Got questions? We got answers....
Atctrikes

Kdx 220 clutch noise and green oil

Post by Atctrikes »

Hey fellas recently bought a kdx220 and need some help took it for a couple rides without changing the oil when I got it. They day after a ride I started the bike up and noticed a noise from the clutch, it’s a light metallic scrape noise and knocking. I changed the oil and the bike was still knocking. Also the oil was very green which I don’t know how it got green antifreeze? Worn disks? If anyone knows why or how it’s green. Also green slime all over. Took the clutch cover off to inspect everything and this is where I’m at. Should I take all the plates out clean everything and reassemble it? Any suggestions would help. Thanks
tropicoz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Kdx 220 clutch noise and green oil

Post by tropicoz »

I doubt it's antifreeze in there because it wouldn't stay green if it mixed with the oil, it would have a milky appearance. Motul makes a high end oil that is green and looks like a dead ringer for antifreeze, maybe its that.
It wouldn't hurt to take it apart and inspect the springs, basket, and plates. Could be the springs/bolts are backing out. If it all looks legit and within spec, reassemble and ride to see if the noise repeats.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

tropicoz wrote:I doubt it's antifreeze in there because it wouldn't stay green if it mixed with the oil, it would have a milky appearance. Motul makes a high end oil that is green and looks like a dead ringer for antifreeze, maybe its that.
It wouldn't hurt to take it apart and inspect the springs, basket, and plates. Could be the springs/bolts are backing out. If it all looks legit and within spec, reassemble and ride to see if the noise repeats.
It definitely looks like some dirty Motul!! It left a green algae looking slime that looked like itd be on the side of a fish tank all over the clutch, probably just because it’s super old. I don’t have a manual for the clutch specs does anyone have them? It would be awesome if someone could tell me the specs and tolerances for everything. Or just send a pic to my email. Would be really jet flyin
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed, the oil was green when it went in. As for the knocking from teh clutch, it's hard to say without a video, but you can search here for "kips rattle" as well as youtube, and compare that to what you are hearing. This may be a non issue. However, if you just bought a KDX220 and didn't even change the oil, I'm betting you haven't inspected the top end. Please do that ASAP, before you ride again. If it's a factory piston you may find yourself doing a complete engine rebuild sooner than later, possibly even being forced to replace engine cases. Sharing service manuals is not allowed here, but I would recommend that you pick one up. It'll be the best money you ever spent next to what you paid for the KDX.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Why are manuals not aloud to be shared? On all the Honda forums manuals are found free, shared and easy to find. Makes me dislike kawi because of their manuals.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

I took the clutch cover off and started it and it was still making a scraping noise but the knocking was gone. The whole clutch basket wiggles a little bit so I’m thinking that’s one problem anyone have that happen to them?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Atctrikes wrote:Why are manuals not aloud to be shared? On all the Honda forums manuals are found free, shared and easy to find. Makes me dislike kawi because of their manuals.
We really aren't trying to be jerks here at KDXrider but we must protect our little corner of the internet. The problem has to do with copyright law as the manuals are copyrighted by Kawasaki. The forum can get in legal trouble from Kawasaki for allowing them to be shared. For the record, any forum sharing manuals from any manufacturer, unless that manufacturer offers it freely, is violating the law and can be held liable. Honda could easily go after the forum you mentioned. However, if the forum you speak of, or any others, choose to allow it then that's their choice and they assume the liability that goes along with it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

hmm.. I thought it would only be illegal if you share it for profit but I understand either way
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I’m not an Admin here but I am on an aviation forum. We have a similar rule about copywrited material. Profit doesn’t matter. Reproduction of copywrited material harms the owner of that material whether you make a profit or not. You’ll note a link to a manual on this site. Not free but a good resource IMO and worth the money. Just my $.02.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Atctrikes wrote:Why are manuals not aloud to be shared? On all the Honda forums manuals are found free, shared and easy to find. Makes me dislike kawi because of their manuals.
May I ask how old you are?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Jason wrote:
May I ask how old you are?

Are you saying that to try to be funny? Mature for a moderator, I’m 26. I asked for torque specs and get “we don’t share manuals” How old are you? Cause you sound like a 12 year old not wanting to share their notes. Also, what is wrong with disliking kawi because of their overpriced, hard to find manuals? Seems like you just like being a dou.che bag.
Last edited by Atctrikes on 01:49 pm Aug 29 2018, edited 2 times in total.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Thanks for the people that tried to help and not bash or be smart. I was asking questions about the bike and keep getting reply’s about the manual.I don’t give a **** about sharing the manual I just wanted some torque specs and advice. Delete my account. Thx
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

EDITED by Jason, per request of Tyl3r

They're not trying to mean, just trying to protect the site. If copy written material was freely shared on here, we could get shut down if the right person noticed. There might be something different about the Honda manuals that makes it ok to share freely.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Tyl3r wrote:Shoot me an email to tyl3rlyon, its a gmail address, didn't want to type it all the way out. I can help ya out.

They're not trying to mean, just trying to protect the site. If copy written material was freely shared on here, we could get shut down if the right person noticed. There might be something different about the Honda manuals that makes it ok to share freely.

Thanks Tyler I appreciate it, however I fixed the problem already with no help from this site. Just got taught a “lesson” about manuals that I didn’t even care about. Would just like my account deleted.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Atctrikes wrote:Thanks for the people that tried to help and not bash or be smart. I was asking questions about the bike and keep getting reply’s about the manual.I don’t give a **** about sharing the manual I just wanted some torque specs and advice. Delete my account. Thx
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128