Good handguards?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Good handguards?

Post by wanaride »

I've got the FRP handguards (aluminum & plastic), and due to their bend, the brake cylinder assembly bumps the upper part of the guard. This means that wherever I want to set the levers, the guards have to be tilted BELOW the levers.

I've already cut the balls off the levers...this is a different problem. I tried to set the levers this weekend so that they "flowed" with my arms while standing. I can set the levers but the guards must be tilted below them; the bend of the guard won't allow the brake cylinder to be enclosed by the guard.

Consequently, the guards aren't "guarding" from brushes with trees, limbs, etc.

I might be able to twist/hammer/bend the guards one way or the other, but that seems stupid and I'm not sure it is do-able anyway.

Does anyone out there have handguards that completely go around the levers and cylinder assembly? Surely not all guards fit this way.

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I'm afraid you will run into that with pretty much any guards. I had some Cyra Pro-Bends that were better than any I have had but am now using Tusk's D-Flex guards. They are not bad but still suffer from the same kind of angle problem. I have went down with them without a problem. They guard more than you think.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I put the tusk guards on my bike a few rides before I had a big impact with a truck-sized boulder. I was in 4th gear and hit the rock with the right side bar. I have no doubt the bar guard saved me from multiple breaks in my right hand. Unfortunately it couldn't do the same for my ribs. They broke in my back. Let me tell you, that makes it tough to sleep. :sad:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did your FRP guards come with a fat washer to mount on the right side on the handlebar mount? My Fredette guards from late '80's / early '90's came with one. That spaced it out some. Either way, you might try to see how it would work with a washer and longer bolt.

Colorado Mike, I wish you a speedy recovery.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

I put a nut for a spacer (with a longer bolt) on the bar clamp post. Spaces it out enough to clear everything. Seems to work very well.

HB
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I really think....Cycra Pro-bends are the best fitting guards hands down. Here is what they look like:

http://store.cycraracing.com/cypralha.html

Also... Made in the USA

Check out their trinity triple clamps too..... NICE!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "