Air filter assembly

Got questions? We got answers....
Pda1122

Air filter assembly

Post by Pda1122 »

When putting foam filter on the cage, do you pop the top of the cage thru the foam then screw on or do you let the foam rest on the outside of the cage, even where the female nipple is? When popping it thru, I ripped some foam but looks like this is what the previous owner has been doing judging from the marks on the threaded part on the cage. Somehow the foam was not torn from him though. What’s the trick? Also is the wing bolt supposed to have a washer?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Air filter assembly

Post by KDXGarage »

pop the foam through

if you made a tear, then trash can ad buy a new one

any tear is a clear path for dirt to get by

https://haroldbawlzangya.com/air-filter-test/

washer:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... ir-cleaner
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

Yes, what Jason said.

First lightly grease the center brass piece knob on the air filter cage.
Then install air filter over the cage.
Then start gradually stretching the air filter center hole over the center brass knob using a circular motion.
Then install the washer and wing nut.

With twin air filters for KDX's I have found two different sized air filters.
1) One has about a 1/4" center hole that easily fits over the brass center knob on the air filter cage. It is also taller than the other one.
2) There are some twin air filters with .110" size center holes. They are also not as tall.(Those I am not sure if they will tear or not when stretching over the center brass knob.. But I aim to find out.)
The Center brass knob on the filter cage measures .550" diameter.

See Pictures:

freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

OK so the newer designed twin air filters with the .110" hole are NOT RECOMMENDED OR DESIGNED to fit over the brass center knob on the cage! Stretching it to fit may rip the filter.

Twin Air emailed me this information:
"The small hole size (.110" diameter) is the intended size and according to the master design of this particular filter. It is not meant to have the brass nob go through the hole, rather is meant to only accept the bolt. This is the reason the hole is so small- to ensure a secure fit around the bolt. The filter material will then be compressed between the brass knob and the washer/top of the filter bolt."

Jason, should this be a separate post?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report!

If you want to make a new thread with the same info, that would be fine with me. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Pda1122

Post by Pda1122 »

I have a hiflowfiltro air filter with the small holes you mention. If I try to fit the brass center knob from the cage on the filter, I know it’ll rip. Is there any issue running the filter part on the outside of the knob? I kept a close eye while tightening the screw and the washer didn’t turn much until the last twist where it barely turned
Pda1122

Post by Pda1122 »

Oops I missed the email from twin air. Do you guys think it will be fine? I mean why not make the product how it should be as it was originally designed? Do you think they “improved” the fit to not allow dirt to pass? It seems possible to me.