Cush drive for KDX 220

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cush drive for KDX 220

Post by pumpguy »

Does anyone know of a cush drive hub that will, or might, fit a KDX 220 swing arm with reasonable hope that the sprocket and rotor will line up similar to OEM hub?

Since this would be an experimental project, I'd rather find a used assembly rather than going all new.

Reason for asking is, back in the day I had a bike with direct drive break the gearbox cases. Was trying to resolve a slipping clutch problem and after beefing up the clutch, took it on the street to check for slipping. Well, the clutch no longer slipped, the cases broke instead.

I have to admit I really thrashed it, and the failure was totally my abuse. Still, I think a cush in the drive might have saved the day.

I've also seen something about cush sprockets (Kush sprockets). Anybody know anything about these? Could a guy make his own if he really tried?
david

Re: Cush drive for KDX 220

Post by david »

With all due respect, I think you might be trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I've heard some KX rear wheels fit directly onto the KDX. I haven't yet verified this for myself. Assuming that is true, it is probably more likely to find one for a KX 125/250 and it will fit on the KDX. However, the ones I've seen on eBay were new and quite expensive.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

david wrote:With all due respect, I think you might be trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you're probably right. Sometimes I overthink things. Past experience with old road and dirt 175 and 250 2T bikes with cush drives was a smooth power delivery. Most noticeable on pavement. KDX seems a bit snatchy by comparison.

Knobby tires in the dirt provides all the cush needed; trying to smooth things out a bit on pavement.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not seen any specific to the smaller bore bikes, but you may be able to find a later model Suzuki DR650 rear wheel fairly cheap, it runs a cush hub. The DRZ400s do not.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cush drive for KDX 220

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks,

I'll look into that if I decide to pursue this project.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Also the DR350 had a cush drive, and might be a closer match size wise.