CYCRA pro-bend brush guards -- fit?

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

CYCRA pro-bend brush guards -- fit?

Post by crazybrit »

Does anyone have any fitment advice (for a 1998 KDX220).

Do the triple clamp models fit, if so, which mount, top-mount or side-mount?
If not, how much modification was required?

I'm assuming the regular bar mount ones fit without issue (drill out bar ends as necessary).

Thanks

Tony
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I have Cycra probends on my KDX220.

I did experience a few problems that led me to purchase new handlebars.

With stock bars:

It can be done with a little hassle. Yes you have to drill out the bar ends, the left hand one is very tricky because there is a hole in the bar that allows the grip glue to seep down in and cause it to stick hard. (make sure you have a hand drill with a 1/2"chuck for large drill bits or bits with 3/8" arbors).
You will have to get the rubber end mounts for steel handlebars, the alloy ones will not fit.
I do not have the triple mounts, but the regular bar mounts fit upside-down, otherwise they interfere with the cross bar.
Also, as with any barkbusters you must cut the end off your throttle ( or achieve space between guard and grip somehow) and handlegrip so it does not stick wide open.

I would buy new bars and cut them to size, my pro taper CR-HI's fit perfect with the alloy mounts. If you still have the stock clutch lever, watch for clearance between the lever and the guard before cutting too much material from the bar ends. Mine could only be cut to 30" before my clutch could not slide up the bar any farther.

Good luck!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I don't have the stock bars. I just got the bike 2 weeks ago. No handguards at all. Previous owner said he junked the old bars and put on 7/8" ones that were "slightly better but not that great". Bike is in awesome condition so I'm not sure why the old ones were thrown.

I'm a new dirt rider so I wouldn't know a good set of bars from a bad set. Just want decent hand protection and don't feel like it makes sense to rush out and buy a new set of bars right now.

I saw a set of MSR Dominator brush guards at Cycle Gear, I was surprised how heavy they were (just the guards no deflectors). I thought they were steel based on how heavy they were. The entire Cycra package with deflectors was a lot lighter weight.

Not sure what the diff is between the MSR Dominator (back of package said they were made by EE) and the MSR D-Flectors which I know are also made by EE (and I think are the same as the current Moose guards).

Tony[/b]