KDX 200=FUN -- a little long winded

Got questions? We got answers....
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Around this time last summer I picked up a 96 KDX 200 that needed quite a bit of TLC, elbow grease, and upgrades. It included the following:

New Top End, KIPS serviced/cleaned
New Carb OEM (set Pilot jet 50, Main 160, and 1174 needle 2nd groove)
Super Carbon Power Reeds
Rebuilt forks with Racetech springs
Rebuilt shock with Racetech springs & new swingarm/linkage bearings
New wheel bearings and wheel spacers
Rebuilt calipers with new brake pads
New throttle cable and new ODO cable
Procircuit Platinum II exhaust
Ricochet Skidplate
IMS Pro foot pegs
IMS shift lever
New Graphics
New fender bag
New Chain and sprockets (CS-12, Rear 47)
New Air filter
New fork boots
New front and rear tires & heavy duty tubes
New ASV clutch Lever
Snorkel removed

Rode it few times throughout the past year -- just trying to get it dialed in. Well, last Saturday I rode 30 miles and after I was done, I felt like this KDX was finally dialed in. I've said this before -- sometimes I forget just how fun these little bikes truly are! This is the 4th and oldest KDX 200 I've ever owned, and quite frankly, I think it's the best one yet . I''m about 235 pounds fully geared up and this little KDX flat out rips. It's so flickable in the woods, and very stable at high speed. All of my previous KDX's had the FMF Rev or Torque pipe -- and I have to admit I actually like the PC II better.

I have 2017 Beta 300RR which is absolutely amazing as well...HOWEVER, the KDX makes me smile just as much and actually more b/c I can it ride it so much more aggressively. I find that actually riding a smaller bike helps my riding over all b/c it makes me focus on momentum, throttle/clutch control, and line placement . Yeah, I have to work a little harder, but the strange thing is that I actually feel like my lap times are the same, and that I'm actually ALOT less tired riding this bike...But what I love most of all about this bike: the Purple Sofa seat. These new bikes seats are nothing more than a 2x6 with vinyl.

No excess bells & whistles on this bike, stone cold reliable, easy maintenance, and easy clean up . Yep, I like my KDX 200 -- ALOT!
ImageJuly 2018 KDX by john hubbard, on Flickr
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX 200=FUN -- a little long winded

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Skoalman, you summed up the KDX perfectly! It seems counter intuitive that a bike from 96 would make you smile and give you more enjoyment than a bike such as the Beta that is so technologically advanced, but the KDX is timeless. Kawasaki was way ahead of their time when they introduced the H series in 95. I have a 97 220 and a 04 200 and will keep them till I cant ride anymore. Thanks for the post and gotta love the purple! Take care.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Skoalman, also, what do you like better about the PC pipe compared to the FMF Gnarly Woods (torque) pipe? I run stock, but have been thinking about the Gnarly woods (torque) pipe. Thank you sir.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That is a great story, and a great looking bike. Nice work!
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Thanks for the kind words VTMTCowboy!

After a 20 year layoff, the first bike I bought to get back in the game was a brand 2002 KDX 200, I rode it stock for awhile, until I found the JustKDX and FRP sites. I upgraded my suspension and added a FMF rev pipe. It was fine for faster and more open trail riding, but as my skills progressed and I began to ride more technical trails I realized that the bike actually was easier to ride with the stock pipe in more technical sections. My next KDX came with a torque pipe and I could actually feel the difference between it and the Rev pipe. Dropping the CS to a 12 along with the added lowend of torque of the pipe really helped my woods riding, but on faster trails, I could also sense that it limited the topend.

Eventually I just moved onto other bikes with more displacement, and subsequently bought a KTM 300, 250 and a couple of Husqvarna 250s, Beta 300s, etc...Still, I always had a place in my heart for the mighty little KDX 200. So, with the purchase of this KDX last summer, I started reading up about the PC II on this site and how it helped to improve the power everywhere. My skills have drastically improved since 2003, and after having so many larger displacement bikes during the interim, I'm now I'm able to ride the KDX way more aggressively than I did in 2002.

I agree with others on here that the PC2, IMHO, opens up the bike from top to bottom. It helps the bottom end, but where it really shines is the midrange -- and that's where I tend to ride KDX (momentum, momentum, momentum). I love the sound of old vintage bikes, but when my KDX gets on the pipe, the PC II is truly like music to my ears. I'm 20 pounds heavier than I was in 2002, and this bike pulls so well down low, that I actually can't believe it at times. Likewise, during high speed acceleration it will lift the front tire 1st through 4th gear. The PCII pipe just feels more aggressive, and for a 200+ guy like me, it's great to have that kind of power on tap.

Lastly, and as previously mentioned, riding a smaller bike makes you work a little harder, modulate the clutch & shift alot more, focus on maintaining momentum, and be more cognizant of your line choices...and that's precisely why I like this set up so much. Now, when I ride my Beta 300 or vintage big bores I see where the KDX helps me in riding these bikes more efficiently and how it's helps with line placement. Big bore are great and can help you make up for skill deficiencies...BUT they can also make you ride inefficiently, make you lazy, and flat wear you out if you're riding them wrong.

I wish Kawasaki would've never stopped making this bike. Nonetheless, it's kind of cool to know that these H models, in the right hands and if set up correctly, are just as good as any other bike out there today. In the end, I really believe the old adage -- it's 80 to 90 percent rider, 10-20 percent bike.
Last edited by Skoalman on 12:24 am Jul 15 2018, edited 2 times in total.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

Julien D wrote:That is a great story, and a great looking bike. Nice work!
Thanks Jason. I couldn't have done it without this great KDX forum/site! It's a fantastic resource for KDX owners and I'm so thankful for all that you do to keep it going -- much appreciated!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the ride report. You look to have a very well maintained ride. It looks nice!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128