First kdx have some questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

So I picked up a kdx220 that runs decent I’m not really familiar with kdxs or 2 strokes in general. The bike runs ok but seems like it should be faster for a 220 2 stroke. It leaks a ton of unburnt oil out of the exhaust where the headpipe meets the silencer. I mix it 4 oz per gallon. It just feels like it should be more snappier. I opened the inspection cap on the power valve and there is oil seaping out. Smells and looks like burnt motor oil. Anyone have suggestions of what I should do or inspect?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: First kdx have some questions

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. :bravo:

Congratulations on getting a KDX. It sounds like it could use some TLC. I suggest you buy a service manual, either Cyclepedia or used OEM off eBay / elsewhere. It will be the best money you can spend on it.

Look on http://www.kawasaki.com for the parts diagram, as well as a free download of the owner's manual.

There is a copper crush gasket between the aluminum cylinder and steel ppe, plu two o-rings on the pipe to seal the junction. They wear over time and need to be replaced. There should also be a couple of springs to hold the pipe on.

There are a ton of things to check on to ensure proper operation. Start at the air filter and work through the carb, reeds, piston, power valve, pipe and spark arrestor.

EDIT: Please try to not post twice. I deleted your second post. Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Your info shows you put Japan as your country, but your whois info shows New Jersey. Is that correct? Are you visiting??
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Jason wrote:Your info shows you put Japan as your country, but your whois info shows New Jersey. Is that correct? Are you visiting??

I am not from japan I’m from the us :)
All the manuals I’m finding are either $70 or $20 and only 8 pages
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, you are the one that put Japan. :grin:

Some countries have different models and come with different parts. It helps to narrow down which model people are talking about.

The KDX220R requires the KDX200 base manual and the KDX220R supplement manual for the changes that are unique to it (piston dimensions are larger, carb is different, etc.)

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawas ... 24-1204-52

supplement is still available, but the base manual is not. They show up sometimes on eBay. Here's one, but it is a little bit high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Kawasaki-S ... SwAHBZ-HZV
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Atctrikes wrote:
Jason wrote:Your info shows you put Japan as your country, but your whois info shows New Jersey. Is that correct? Are you visiting??

I am not from japan I’m from the us :) ...
I fixed it. Thanks. :grin:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums. As noted by Jason, lots of things to check on a new (to you) bike, especially the 220. Service manual and torque wrench are really the first two tools you should get. After that just inspecting to make sure everything looks functional. The 220s stock piston is a timebomb that you will want to replace at your earliest convenience. at 32:1 you are going to get a bunch of splooge, Jetting can correct most of it. The 220 is not as fast as the 200, but has more torque down low.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

bufftester wrote:Welcome to the forums. As noted by Jason, lots of things to check on a new (to you) bike, especially the 220. Service manual and torque wrench are really the first two tools you should get. After that just inspecting to make sure everything looks functional. The 220s stock piston is a timebomb that you will want to replace at your earliest convenience. at 32:1 you are going to get a bunch of splooge, Jetting can correct most of it. The 220 is not as fast as the 200, but has more torque down low.

The kdx manual is the hardest to find most expensive one I ever looked up! I know I’m going to need one though. Have a torque wrench but can you answer under the inspection cap it’s leaking oil through the seal. I know the seal is bad but why is there burnt smelling motor oil leaking from it? Should oil be in the power valve like that? Where could possibly burnt motor oil be coming from?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

A small amount of mix is normal there. A large amount and the seals are bad. There's an o-ring or two that seal that system up, sounds like they are leaky.
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

I know you can’t tell me what the exact jetting should be but what should it be around for a 220 with full procurcit pipe? I haven’t took the carb off yet but I assume it going to be off when I was going through it noticed there was a br7es plug in it probably to compensate for jetting
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Jetting is 145 main 42 pilot r1173L needle in middle clip position 1700 ft above sea level
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

And this bike should be using a br8es correct?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes

BR8ES is stock
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Jason wrote:Yes

BR8ES is stock

I put the br8es in warmed it up and started messing with the air screw and think I’m going to go down a size on the pilot jet the air screw idles higher at over 3 complete turns out. And the new plug was wet and black. Sound like a good idea?
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

Does anyone have what the float height should be?
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

Atctrikes wrote:
Jason wrote:Yes

BR8ES is stock

I put the br8es in warmed it up and started messing with the air screw and think I’m going to go down a size on the pilot jet the air screw idles higher at over 3 complete turns out. And the new plug was wet and black. Sound like a good idea?
I am currently jetting my 2001 KDX220 also. And I started with the same jetting you are at.Yes that sounds correct to try a 40 pilot jet.
Then test it to see how the midrange responds.
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

Atctrikes wrote:Does anyone have what the float height should be?
Yes, I just set the float level in mine. The manual states 15 mm to 17 mm.
So I set mine at 15.9mm and it leaked fuel out the overflow when on the kickstand. No good.
Then I tried 16.5 mm. Same result: leaking fuel.
Then I tried 17.8mm to 18.3mm. A big improvement. Now it does not leak fuel out the overflow until the bike
is tilted about 15 degrees to the left (kickstand side).
So I would go at least 18mm.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep, you need to drop down a size on the pilot jet and see where you're at again. On the float, it's almost universally accepted that 18mm works best on our carbs.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

freeindeed wrote:
Atctrikes wrote:Does anyone have what the float height should be?
Yes, I just set the float level in mine. The manual states 15 mm to 17 mm.
So I set mine at 15.9mm and it leaked fuel out the overflow when on the kickstand. No good.
Then I tried 16.5 mm. Same result: leaking fuel.
Then I tried 17.8mm to 18.3mm. A big improvement. Now it does not leak fuel out the overflow until the bike
is tilted about 15 degrees to the left (kickstand side).
So I would go at least 18mm.
Thanks for the specs. Can you look up the reed tolerance spec for me? I haven’t took them off yet but suspect this causing my rich condition
Atctrikes

Post by Atctrikes »

What are all the possible seals and gaskets that would cause crankcase oil being sucked into the combustion chamber? I don’t notice a loss in oil but the unburnt oil really smells like motor oil