KDX220 clutch not fully disengaging

Got questions? We got answers....
nphubert93

Post by nphubert93 »

alright this is really getting old, hopefully you guys can help me. 1999 kdx220. blew the clutch basket apart last year and finally got around to putting a new one in. i've replaced clutch plates in this bike before and i have a factory manual so i know i'm putting it together correctly. i put the wiseco basket on (part no. wpp3058) i put it all together and when i put it into gear, it's just like the clutch isn't fully disengaging (lever in, clutch only partially disengages, like it's just slipping and not actually seperating the hub from the pressure plate) it still lurches forward and it absolutely will not sit in one spot with the clutch pulled in. it just wants to pull forward. i tried waiting til it warms up, adjusted cable as so i can get as much pull on it as it will allow, still nothing. it also seems like the actuator rod going into the clutch cover isn't letting itself open to full range of motion. even when i turn the rod with a wrench on it, it's only going to where the arm is pointing directly to the center of the engine. am i missing something? i soaked the plates overnight before install, all the correct washers are there, i'm running amsoil 10w40, nothing is seeming to work for me here. the hub and pressure plate are fine, is there a possibility the coned disc springs are worn out?? i'm not sure what to do here, this is making me feel like a real McAsshole. :toimonster: :toimonster: :toimonster:
Boxfresh25

Re: KDX220 clutch not fully disengaging

Post by Boxfresh25 »

Are you sure everything is back together correctly? iirc behind the basket is a washer and a bushing, then once you install the basket there is another washer then you load the rest of the clutch pack.

If that's all good check and make sure the plates are not hanging in the slots of the basket sometimes the edges are serrated and the plates will stick. You can file the basket if that's the case.
nphubert93

Post by nphubert93 »

brand new basket, brand new plates and springs. the washer behind the basket is there, the bushing's in there, the washer between the basket and clutch pack is there
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I was having the same problem when I was putting my clutch back together. 1 of the washers is concave and has to go on only 1 way. I found this out after taking the thing apart far to many times and reassembling it. Hope this helps.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
nphubert93

Post by nphubert93 »

yeah the very outside washer under the hub nut. the inner raised edge has to be towards the nut, i saw that in the manual. i'm gonna keep messing with it and see if i can get it to work, hopefully someone else has some useful info for me here too. it's just totally mind boggling, i've put this clutch together many times before and it worked, i don't understand why it's feeling the need to **** me now lol thanks though
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Do you have the shim behind the clutch pushrod? Have you read about how to check if you need a shim, or two, or none at all behind it?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

oem clutch plates?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

kdx633 wrote:oem clutch plates?
Yes, what brand plates, what brand oil, quantity of oil, etc., please.

Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Check your springs and plates and make sure they are all in spec, and if you have the old basket measure it against the new one as well. Some of the aftermarket clutch kits springs are not the best (the last kit I bought the springs were 1mm under OEM spec). It definitely sounds like a stack up issue. IIWM I'd pull off a steel and maybe a friction and reassemble and see if it works better. That will help you figure out if it's a stack up issue or something else mechanical.
nphubert93

Post by nphubert93 »

wiseco basket, tusk plates, amsoil 10w40, .7 liter. i've used tusk plates before in this bike and they've worked. the only thing i've been able to figure out is that when i drained the 10w40 and put ATF in, the clutch worked fine.. very confusing, seeing as i really am not into the idea of running atf in the bottom end at all times. kawi calls for 10w40 so there's no reason i shouldn't be running it, right? i'm just super confused why it wants to work with atf and not 10w40. i tried taking a friction and steel out and the clutch wouldn't engage since there was no clamping force (they didn't fill the hub up the whole way)
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

just making a guess here.I have found that aftermarket components are not subject to the same quality control as oem.As you stated the atf works and 10/40 does not leads me to believe that the tusk plates could be slightly thicker and combined with the viscosity drag could be the source of your problem.Lots of guys run atf without any trouble.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Have you got it working yet?
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod