Cyclepedia is garbage. Need E series KIPS help.

Got questions? We got answers....
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

The ******* manual that I spent $25 just to rent is garbage and I need help install the KIPS valve system. The stupid manual says that you can just drop on the left and right valves AFTER the actuator shaft is in. My question is how do you install everything properly and timed right. When I bought the bike the valve timing was way off. I have the newer style valve and the cyclepedia manual has noentiom of that either. Seriously disappointed that this cite supports them when they're clearly wrong.
fzrcraig

Post by fzrcraig »

You'll need the factory manual or a reproduction thereof. There are dots machined into the sides of the gears that need to be matched up but you really need pictures and instructions. Not that hard if you have good light and even easier if the motor is out of the frame.

Craig
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Re: Cyclepedia is garbage. Need E series KIPS help.

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Check this

https://haroldbawlzangya.com/2014/04/02 ... -kdx-kips/

It's what I used on my H Series

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Cyclepedia is garbage. Need E series KIPS help.

Post by diymirage »

you drop it all in however you want, BUT do not put the bushings on the top of the valves
then you grab a pair of needle nose pliers an lift the valves up about 1/2 an inch
this will pull the gears up above the shaft and this will allow you to turn the valve to get the timing marks to line up

nothing to it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Please keep the harsh language out of posts. I understand stuff like that can be very frustrating but we try to be a family friendly forum. Thank you.

The Cyclepedia site is one of only two legal means, the other is finding an actual printed manual, to acquire needed info for working on a KDX other than this forum. Is it the best? Obviously not from what you have said but I have no personal experience with it. However, for comparison, I have the printed manual for the E-series and even it isn't correct on how to install the KIPS valves.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
david

Post by david »

I just replaced my cylinder last week, so this is fresh in my mind. All three valves go in first, the center valve has a flat spot on the outer portion that you can see while installed but must have the two bolt cap removed. Position the flat spot facing up. Like fzrcraig mentioned, you have to raise both of the side valves up so that the gears are level with the deck in order to install the shaft, then line up the left valve dot with the grove in the shaft. The trial and error part is timing the center valve, because there is no mention of it in the manual and this can only be done with the grooved washer removed from the end of the shaft because it has to be pushed in farther than that washer will allow in order to disengage/re-engage the center valve.
Last edited by david on 11:49 am Jun 29 2018, edited 1 time in total.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

hbaker wrote:The ******* manual that I spent $25 just to rent is garbage and I need help install the KIPS valve system. The stupid manual says that you can just drop on the left and right valves AFTER the actuator shaft is in. My question is how do you install everything properly and timed right. When I bought the bike the valve timing was way off. I have the newer style valve and the cyclepedia manual has noentiom of that either. Seriously disappointed that this cite supports them when they're clearly wrong.
I had mine apart twice in the past week. Once to check the timing then again to replace the stock piston and do a proper cleaning/topend rebuild. The first time it was a breeze but the second time I had some issues timing the marks. I'm the type of person that if something isn't perfect I can't sleep at night, But sometimes you just need to walk away for a few days then revisit and try again.

I used the cyclepedia manual as well its was ok but not very descriptive. I have the newer style kips so it's not the same as yours, But in my searching on how to time my marks I came across a pretty descriptive video that a gentleman made who was having the same timing issue as you. It's a KX500 but I believe it's the same kips as yours.

He covers the installation and timing around the 4:50 mark
ITracerMike
Supporting Member

Post by ITracerMike »

I recommend highlighting the tiny dots with white paint or even white out fluid.