help wanted!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
millzy555

help wanted!!!

Post by millzy555 »

hi everyone, took the bike out for its first ride on some real tight single track. Through out the day i was constantly over heating due to the enourmous amount of hill climbs we did, and thus lost a fair bit of coolant. Is there anyway to gain a longer revving first gear?. I stalled every time i went up as gear 2 did not have enough to pull me up. Any suggestions as i'm thinking of changing the gears and also placing an order for a v force reed cage. any help would be great. I am wanting to keep the stock pipe as i would destroy a FMF.

thanks jordan
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Here's what I made to save me also destroying my pipe. Cost = $30

What gearing are you running, I forget ??

As you know I run 13/49 and tackle most hills in 2nd.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Jordan,

You don't leave a lot of info about your bike or the conditions you were in. I had a lot of trouble last season with my 220. The problem lasted way longer than it needed to, because I had convinced myself that since the bike was new, all the parts must be in good working order. I thought it was a design problem since I ride at very high altitude, and all my friend's bikes seem to have bigger radiators than mine.

I checked and made sure the pump was moving plenty of coolant, and all the fittings were good, But the problem turned out to be the pressure cap wasn't sealing well. This causes a loss of pressure in the system , and the coolant boils off at low temperature. I ended up putting a 1.6 cap in place of the stock 1.1, but that may not have been necessary replacing the stock one would have probably worked too. I highly reccommend you pressure test the system and the cap. A leak anywhere can cause cavitation, and/or a lack of pressurization.

Since I doubt freezing is likely for your location, you could go to a little higher water ratio, or try one of the high performance coolants that has an extremely high boiling point. I wouldn't do this until you are absolutely sure the cooling system is working perfectly.

Keep in mind that you need good airflow through the rads. Braces, guards, and removing the deflector vanes all lessen airflow. Even the recovery bottle being mounted so close behind the rad has an effect.

Good luck, and tell us what you find. I know how irritating it is to ride a steam-powered bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
millzy555

Post by millzy555 »

Trev, i definately need to make one of those. Where'd you get the materials from?

MIke, temps were around 24 degrees, so not too hot, but i was revving the crap out of first gear, hence gearing change, which caused it to overheat. I'll see how i go on less hilly terrain

thanks
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'll see if I can find the post I did.

**EDIT**

Oh well I thought I posted something but can't find it.

I bought a packet of fibreglass mesh / matting (not the messy fibre stuff), a 1kg tin of fibreglass resin and a 20ml bottle of catalyst (hardener). I can't recall the exact size packet of fibreglass matting but it was roughly two square metres. I ended up with plenty left over for repairs and patch ups. It has saved my pipe at least 3 times and wore the scars to prove it. A rub with some 240 the 600 and a coat of high temp black and it's as good as new again.

Start by wrapping your pipe (off the bike) with tin foil so the fibreglass doesn't stick to the pipe (a bit bigger than the size you want the pipeguard). Be generous give it a few layers of foil. I just cut the matting into strips, squares,triangles, etc. I then mixed the resin and catalyst in about 100ml lots. I painted the resin onto the foil so the matting would stick then started to layer the fibreglass on followed by another coat of resin, then more matting etc. Do it until the 100mls or so is used and stick in the sun to dry. I built up a few layers and once set took it off the pipe and trimmed it to the desired shape. Then layer upon layer, drying then trimming the edges as you go. Once you have built it up until you think its thick enough, let it set completely. Now give is a fair few good layers of just the resin letting dry in between thick coats. Afterward I sanded it smooth with an orbital sander and painted it with high temp black paint.

My best advice is to take your time and wear gloves and goggles or glasses at least. Make it in a well ventilated area.

If you have any more questions, fire away.... :) Hope its helpful...

BTW He has a 01 200 with possibly stock jetting and still unknown gearing. :? :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."