eBay carb quality?

Got questions? We got answers....
Greenbandit200

eBay carb quality?

Post by Greenbandit200 »

I saw a carb on eBay anybody try one yet look to be okay they just say there for KDX 200 no millimeter on the size not sure let me know what you guys think. They list for 70.00 $? Please help. It will be going on a 1997 200 with a 225 Eric gorr cut top end?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

eBay carb quality?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for...... And I can't speak for the quality of the eBay carbs because I really dont know. But IMHO if you're gonna rrplace the carb I would just spend the extra $$$ and get a Lectron carb...... Its simply a much better carb all the way around. Light years ahead of any Keihin or conventional carb in general. Well worth the $$ spent
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

eBay carb quality?

Post by pumpguy »

There is a Youtube video from "Jennies Garage" about this very subject. Tests were done using original OEM carb, New Chinese Keihin knock off, and new genuine Keihin PWK 35.

Sorry, I don't remember the URL right now, but it should be easy enough to find.

Results were: Old worn out original PWK 35, lots of spooge and smoke, with lots of unburnt fuel discharging from muffler. Turned out problem was a worn needle and worn needle jet.

Chinese Keihn knockoff: better, but not what it should have been. Also, internals not genuine Keihin, jets not interchangeable with Keihin, or even numbered. Also something wrong about the needle jet. I don't remember those details. Also, no serial number on carb body, or P/n on slide.

Genuine Keihin: just what the doctor ordered. Performance was what poster expected, and well worth the money.

Hope this helps and you can find that video.
Timtee

Re: eBay carb quality?

Post by Timtee »

[youtube][/youtube]
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

eBay carb quality?

Post by pumpguy »

THATS THE ONE!

Thanks Timtee. I enjoyed this video, and learned something too.

Hope everyone likes it.
Greenbandit200

Post by Greenbandit200 »

it would be hard to spend $450 on the lectron but I wouldn't be too afraid to send it out to RB have it opened up and gone through might be worth $160 or even a new OEM keihin for $220 tough choices my friends
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The chinese knockoffs are crap and not worth the 40-70$ they charge. Best bet is to buy a new one from Sudco or Jet-R-Us or another reputable dealer, or buy an OEM used one. I have tried several different chinese "PWK Authentic" and none of them worked decently, and a few didn't even work. There are easy ways to tell if its a counterfeit carb (just search the web) to save you the hassle. Sending a chinese clone to have it worked on isn't worth the hassle, and a lot of shops won't even touch them, problems with internal castings, tolerances, fit, jets, etc. Of course this is all just based on my own experience and YMMV.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

This looks good. I notice RB is not doing any new business right now and seems like he is cutting way back on what he’s going to do.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

eBay carb quality?

Post by firsthere »

Possibly RB has new modded carbs is stock (listed at $340) and would simply ship one.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

eBay carb quality?

Post by SS109 »

Carbs are one place you don't want to buy a cheap knockoff. If you were to buy one you will have problems.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Hats off to the guy in the video for doing the comparison. The fuel consumption comparisons were interesting, but really didn't tell much of anything. After properly jetting the new OEM carb and the knock-off, a driveability comparison would have been much more helpful.

Back to the knockoff vs. OEM. I am in total agreement that the quality between the two is not even close. I have been involved with some applications where the only options are these knockoff carbs. To date, my biggest problem has been the inconsistency from one carb to the next. If you buy 3, 2 may work and 1 doesn't. The inconsistency appears to be mostly related to the company producing the carb. If I find one that works and is decent qaulity, I will quickly get a couple more before a different manufacturer takes over and starts producing them.

One thing they all share in common is that they need to be cleaned before ever being used.

With my KDX, I have had the OEM carb, a new PWK carb, an RB modded carb and a Lectron. I took the time and properly jetted all of them. In the end, there wasn't that much difference between any of them. When someone bolts on a Lectron or an RB carb and can't believe the improvement, I think most of the time it is because their original carb was worn out or they never changed the factory jetting.

If an OEM or quality aftermarket carb is available, then I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.