KDX 200 deleting headlight to number plate ?

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

KDX 200 deleting headlight to number plate ?

Post by beeds3000 »

I have a 1997 KDX 200 the headlight and tailights don't work anymore, I have seen how you can replace them with a KX number plate instead just wondering which model fits and works better KX 125 or the KX 250 ??? and does the year matter ?
Geoff T. Biderman
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The only # plate that will "just bolt right up" is the '86-'88 KX 125/250 plate. And it's only available in green. I have one that I switch out with the headlight for those rides where I "know" I'm going to hit the ground at least once. It's way old school looking, but I like the way it looks...then again...I'm old. :?

Several other people have modified newer model plates..ie. '99-02 or '03-'06. These are available in white, green and black. The difference is that all the newer style plates are designed to fit the front fender and only bolt onto the top triple clamp. The KX plates are designed with two holes on the back side that slip over two posts (or the front fender bolts depending on what year of KX) that stick up from the bottom triple clamp. Then they are bolted in place with a bolt that goes into the top triple clamp.

Shouldn't be too difficult to modify a modern KX 125/250 plate to fit the KDX. I have an '02 KX250, and it appears that all you would need to do with this model year plate would be to make a spacer for behind the plate for the top triple clamp bolt and then Zip tye the bottom on each fork leg. The '99-'02 plate has "ears" each side that go down the fork legs a few inches.

Have fun! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I have an 03 kx125 plate on mine. All it took to mount it up was one screw at the top into the pre-existing hole in the middle of the top clamp. The bottom just kind of "snaps" in and stays in place. There are pics of it in my galley if your interested.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks nice and factory! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Check here

Post by Mark W »

I have a 2002 220 and did the same thing. Check out my page (go to the gallery and look up Mark W) and you can see what I did to make a number plate fit on my bike. Nothing hard at all.

I tried putting up a link but no lucky.

Mark