Wheel bearings..

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wheel bearings..

Post by Colorado Mike »

The thread about the spokes got me wondering if any of you have a good method for getting the wheel bearings out. I just did them on my kid's KX, and it must have taken me an hour and a half to get the first side off the front wheel. The back was a little easier. Any methods, or tools that help? My method was just to get the inner sleeve to angle a little bit so I can get a flat nosed punch onto the inner surface of the bearing and drive it out with a hammer. I had a real tough time getting enough grip with the punch to get the bearing to move.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I used a slide hammer and a home made hook to get the gear shaft seal out, maybe worth a look. I've got pics if you need em, of the tool I made that is.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

sure, let's see what you came up with. Saw this on pit posse: http://www.pitposse.com/whbereset.html wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost though.
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I used a bolt which I ground down thinner at the threaded end. I then heated it up until it was red hot and bent the tip over. I then used my Dremmel to grind a 90 degree angle so it would grab better (a bit hard to see in the pic).

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

the trick is getting it inside the skinny hole and still having enough shoulder to grip the bearing. I think I got an idea though. I should have tried a bolt where the head is slightly smaller than the ID of the bearing. Slide the head in and push it to the side to grip the inner face, then put a punch in from the other side and pound it out.
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

That should work. I'm sure the wheel bearing ID is larger diameter than the gear shaft seal's ID (12mm from memory). I just worked my way around and it popped straight out so to speak.

layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i just beat mine out with a screwdriver, 10 minutes
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I got that pit posse set off eBay some time ago for about $30. Well worth it in my opinion.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'My method was just to get the inner sleeve to angle a little bit...'

It is helpful to give the spacer a bit of persuasion. If you only 'move' the spacer, it won't go as far as if you give it a sound TAP in the angled direction. Yeah...you don't get any sort of 'direct' shot at it with both bearings in..but you will move it over far enough to get a pretty good bite at the inner race of that first bearing. Insert your punch to just shy of the opposite bearing race, smack it at 90º to the axle axis. Try a direct tap from the bearing side, too. It'll move...some.

Much better to have taken your time than to crack/damage the hub!!!

Maybe refine the edge on your punch? Make sure it's square and NOT a reduced diameter. Take the time to back-n-forth the whacks. If it gets at all cocked...you're lookin' for trouble.

...you know all that. :wink:

Those CBR bearings are great, 'eh??

I mean..you can't BEAT a lifetime guarantee!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!