KDX 200 Won't Rev Out

Got questions? We got answers....
gshredz

KDX 200 Won't Rev Out

Post by gshredz »

Hello!
I have a 2003 KDX 200. The bike is running very rich. It will not rev out. All the top end power is just not there. I am running a basically brand new stock expansion chamber and silencer after switching out the old FMF setup. I rebuilt the carburetor with all stock jets and cleaned it so its spotless. I even have the c-clip needle valve adjustment on the leanest setting and its still too rich, it wont rev out in high rpm's. So the carburetor is not the problem. My air filter is good. Im running 32:1. The gear oil when I changed it seemed kind of milky like a grayish color but it still felt like oil. Does anyone know what the problem is? A bad KIPS, needing a new top end, crank seal? I just bought this bike and want to get her running right! Any help is very much appreciated! :grin:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX 200 Won't Rev Out

Post by pumpguy »

Did you "dip" the carb in carb cleaner? If yes, you probably damaged the jet block gasket which would cause a rich mixture due to jet block leakage. Do a search on this site for JET BLOCK GASKET. There's lots of threads on that subject.

What about the KIPS assembly? There is/was an error in the factory service manual on KIPS assembly. If assembled wrong, this will cause poor performance too.

Do you have a Service Manual? If no, you should get one. It's the most important tool needed to care for your KDX. See this site's home page for information on getting one.
gshredz

KDX 200 Won't Rev Out

Post by gshredz »

pumpguy wrote:Did you "dip" the carb in carb cleaner? If yes, you probably damaged the jet block gasket which would cause a rich mixture due to jet block leakage. Do a search on this site for JET BLOCK GASKET. There's lots of threads on that subject.

What about the KIPS assembly? There is/was an error in the factory service manual on KIPS assembly. If assembled wrong, this will cause poor performance too.

Do you have a Service Manual? If no, you should get one. It's the most important tool needed to care for your KDX. See this site's home page for information on getting one.
I was thinking the same thing. I did not dip my carb in carb cleaner. It is possible the jet block gasket can be bad though. I am going to order one, I can only seem to find them on eBay from a seller in the Netherlands. Do you know anywhere else I can get one? I need to watch some videos and do some reading on the KIPS assembly. I take it as it is Kawasaki's version of the power valve. The service manual is on my list of things I need to get. Thank you.
david

Re: KDX 200 Won't Rev Out

Post by david »

Jets-R-us has the jet block gasket.
http://jetsrus.com/individual_parts/021_532_su.html
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

david wrote:Jets-R-us has the jet block gasket.
http://jetsrus.com/individual_parts/021_532_su.html
Thanks for the information but they seem kind of sketchy to me. Did a quick google search on them and find lots of negative things about them.
david

Post by david »

Many of us, myself included, have used them with no issues.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sudco ??

I have never heard anyone bad mouth jets r su, whether on this forum or elsewhere...a first for me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I just ordered 2 jet block gaskets from Jets-R-Us and they were at my door 3 days later. I have used them many times with no issues, but I do hear if you are outside the US it may be problematic.

KIPS would be where I would look next if it is running good on the bottom but not above 6k rpm. You said your oil was gray and milky which indicates a bad water pump mechanical seal allowing coolant into your oil (or your bike spent time as a submarine).
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

david wrote:Many of us, myself included, have used them with no issues.
I will give them a shot then, thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bufftester wrote:I just ordered 2 jet block gaskets from Jets-R-Us and they were at my door 3 days later. I have used them many times with no issues, but I do hear if you are outside the US it may be problematic.

KIPS would be where I would look next if it is running good on the bottom but not above 6k rpm. You said your oil was gray and milky which indicates a bad water pump mechanical seal allowing coolant into your oil (or your bike spent time as a submarine).
LOL

gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jason wrote:
bufftester wrote:I just ordered 2 jet block gaskets from Jets-R-Us and they were at my door 3 days later. I have used them many times with no issues, but I do hear if you are outside the US it may be problematic.

LOL

Don't flood my post with garbage bud.
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

This may be wayyyy to simple but,,, plugged exhaust ?
Sure won't cost nothing but some time to check.
john
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Don't flood my post with garbage bud."

gshredz, you can skip over it. It was not directed to you. :grin: Also, try a little politeness. It might not hurt.
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

jeswinehart wrote:This may be wayyyy to simple but,,, plugged exhaust ?
Sure won't cost nothing but some time to check.
john
Thats what I thought and was hoping to be too man. But thanks for the help!
Last edited by gshredz on 07:57 pm Jun 05 2018, edited 1 time in total.
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jason wrote:"Don't flood my post with garbage bud."

gshredz, you can skip over it. It was not directed to you. :grin: Also, try a little politeness. It might not hurt.
lmao
Last edited by gshredz on 05:32 pm Jun 06 2018, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

From bufftester... "(or your bike spent time as a submarine)"

I posted a pic of a lime green submarine.

What he is meaning is that if someone before you drove it through deep water, it could have water inside the transmission / clutch area. Not likely what happened here, as I think he was just kidding, as I was toward him with the picture.

Get a T-20 security Torx and check / replace the jet block gasket. Beyond that, compression test, reeds, pressure test, vacuum test. You might also want to take the pipe off and look at the side of the piston for its condition. It is not as good as taking it all apart, but it could be enough to see a big problem.
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jason wrote:From bufftester... "(or your bike spent time as a submarine)"

I posted a pic of a lime green submarine.

What he is meaning is that if someone before you drove it through deep water, it could have water inside the transmission / clutch area. Not likely what happened here, as I think he was just kidding, as I was toward him with the picture.

Get a T-20 security Torx and check / replace the jet block gasket. Beyond that, compression test, reeds, pressure test, vacuum test. You might also want to take the pipe off and look at the side of the piston for its condition. It is not as good as taking it all apart, but it could be enough to see a big problem.
I have already stripped the carburetor down completely down to nothing. I have already taken off the jet block gasket and it looked fine. I washed it with some dawn dish soap and warm water and popped it back in just for now. I know I need to order a new one, you should never reuse gaskets. Do you know where the reeds are located in the bike? And yes thats a good idea, I should pop the exhaust back off again and check to see if there is anything that stands out to be a problem. Good idea man! Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, if it was not swollen, and it runs the same when you get it back together, then it should be no worse off.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... -kdx200-h9

A couple of things one can see from looking into the cylinder from the exhaust port is carbon build up on top of the piston and oil blow by on the side of the piston.