OEM Headlight

Got questions? We got answers....
NewKDX

OEM Headlight

Post by NewKDX »

So my bike has the polish sport headlight. I would like to replace it with the OEM one. The Switch that controls the headlight works great. But only one wire is connected to the headlight for the OEM one correct? I am hoping to just use the wires that are already there and swap out the aftermarket headlight with OEM. If you guys have pictures of your OEM setup please post that would be great.

2005 Kawasaki KDX 200

Thanks
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

OEM Headlight

Post by pumpguy »

I understand there are/were some mounting durability problems with the OEM headlight, so you might want to check into this before going back to the OEM.

Just curious why you want to do this? Just for originality sake, or maybe something else?

I expect you may have some wire connection problems, but nothing to really worry about.

Mine came with an aftermarket headlight, so I can't comment further.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: OEM Headlight

Post by doakley »

I kept busting up headlights on trees so I finally took what was left of it off and replaced it with a KX number plate. Still hitting trees it quit busting lights!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

OEM Headlight

Post by pumpguy »

doakley, you must be more careful. You can break something that way. I've been lucky, just broke a toe once. Got better boots now.

Also, no headlight in most areas means no riding on the road. For me, gotta have a working headlight.
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

Basically what I am asking is can I take off the polishsport headlight and replace it with the OEM. It has a trail tech switch. The reason I want to do this is because the polishsport headlight is cheap and flimsy. The OEM headlight was much more stable. There is just one wire that connects to the headlight on the polishsport. So what I am asking is can I remove the poslishsport and use the one wire can connect it to the OEM? Or does the OEM require more than one wire?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

OEM Headlight

Post by pumpguy »

The wiring diagram that appears in both the Owner's Manual and the Factory Service Manual shows 2 wires going to the headlight; one for power, and one to ground.

The stock headlight bulb only has one filament, so only one power wire is needed. Aftermarket (PoliSport) headlights frequently have dual filament (high & low beam) head light bulbs. With these, you can wire to use either filament, or set up a dimmer switch on the handlebar and be able to use both filaments.

Ask your Kawasaki dealer to email you a copy of the owner's manual. They're free. See this site's home page for information on how to get a Factory Service Manual. It's the most useful tool you can get for your KDX.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Polisport

from Portugal, not Poland

www.kawasaki.com for a free download of any 1988+ USA KDX owner's manual.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
koshari

OEM Headlight

Post by koshari »

pumpguy wrote:The wiring diagram that appears in both the Owner's Manual and the Factory Service Manual shows 2 wires going to the headlight; one for power, and one to ground.

The stock headlight bulb only has one filament, so only one power wire is needed. Aftermarket (PoliSport) headlights frequently have dual filament (high & low beam) head light bulbs. With these, you can wire to use either filament, or set up a dimmer switch on the handlebar and be able to use both filaments.

Ask your Kawasaki dealer to email you a copy of the owner's manual. They're free. See this site's home page for information on how to get a Factory Service Manual. It's the most useful tool you can get for your KDX.
not all stock are the same, for example the AU stock lamp has High/Low and therefore 3 wires. having said that you could of coarse just withe up the low beam easily enough.